Maria Sharapova Makes it to the Women’s Tennis Association Championship Despite Shoulder Injury
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 25, 2013 1:24 PM EST
Russian tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has made it to qualify for the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Championship in October. The WTA confirmed the news on Monday.
Recently, Sharapova has been missing in action due to her shoulder injury. She kept herself busy promoting her premiere candy line Sugarpova. She has also appeared in several U.S. TV shows such as Larry King Now and Chelsea Lately. She even appeared during the New York Fashion Week. She definitely knows how to remain in the headlines even when she's not playing.
As the WTA has confirmed, she has managed to qualify for the upcoming tournament which will be held in Istanbul, Turkey. Agnieszka Radwanska from Poland also made the cut. Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka were earlier reported to have qualified for the 2013 WTA Championships too. Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani from Italy were the first team to qualify for the said tournament in the Doubles category.
It will be the 48th and the 38th editions for the singles event and double competition, respectively.
"Even though she continues to rehab her injury, we are excited to announce that we have added Maria, Agnieszki, Roberta, and Sara to the WTA Championships in Istanbul," the WTA Chair and Chief Executive Stacey Allaster said in a testimonial posted online. "We are only less than one month away from the WTA Championships and we are ready to build another breathtaking tournament for tennis fans in Istanbul and around the globe," she added.
The world's no 3 already withdrew from the recent U.S. Open because of her injury. This time around, she will be playing and for sure, we will witness her thrilling tennis trick shots and strokes.
There are still six more tournaments before the WTA Championships, namely the Pacific Open, China Open, Generali Ladies Linz, HP Open, BGL PNP Paribas Luxembourg Open and Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8