Maria Sharapova Makes it to the Women’s Tennis Association Championship Despite Shoulder Injury
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 25, 2013 1:24 PM EST
Russian tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has made it to qualify for the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Championship in October. The WTA confirmed the news on Monday.
Recently, Sharapova has been missing in action due to her shoulder injury. She kept herself busy promoting her premiere candy line Sugarpova. She has also appeared in several U.S. TV shows such as Larry King Now and Chelsea Lately. She even appeared during the New York Fashion Week. She definitely knows how to remain in the headlines even when she's not playing.
As the WTA has confirmed, she has managed to qualify for the upcoming tournament which will be held in Istanbul, Turkey. Agnieszka Radwanska from Poland also made the cut. Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka were earlier reported to have qualified for the 2013 WTA Championships too. Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani from Italy were the first team to qualify for the said tournament in the Doubles category.
It will be the 48th and the 38th editions for the singles event and double competition, respectively.
"Even though she continues to rehab her injury, we are excited to announce that we have added Maria, Agnieszki, Roberta, and Sara to the WTA Championships in Istanbul," the WTA Chair and Chief Executive Stacey Allaster said in a testimonial posted online. "We are only less than one month away from the WTA Championships and we are ready to build another breathtaking tournament for tennis fans in Istanbul and around the globe," she added.
The world's no 3 already withdrew from the recent U.S. Open because of her injury. This time around, she will be playing and for sure, we will witness her thrilling tennis trick shots and strokes.
There are still six more tournaments before the WTA Championships, namely the Pacific Open, China Open, Generali Ladies Linz, HP Open, BGL PNP Paribas Luxembourg Open and Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report