Maria Sharapova Makes it to the Women’s Tennis Association Championship Despite Shoulder Injury
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 25, 2013 1:24 PM EST
Russian tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has made it to qualify for the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Championship in October. The WTA confirmed the news on Monday.
Recently, Sharapova has been missing in action due to her shoulder injury. She kept herself busy promoting her premiere candy line Sugarpova. She has also appeared in several U.S. TV shows such as Larry King Now and Chelsea Lately. She even appeared during the New York Fashion Week. She definitely knows how to remain in the headlines even when she's not playing.
As the WTA has confirmed, she has managed to qualify for the upcoming tournament which will be held in Istanbul, Turkey. Agnieszka Radwanska from Poland also made the cut. Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka were earlier reported to have qualified for the 2013 WTA Championships too. Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani from Italy were the first team to qualify for the said tournament in the Doubles category.
It will be the 48th and the 38th editions for the singles event and double competition, respectively.
"Even though she continues to rehab her injury, we are excited to announce that we have added Maria, Agnieszki, Roberta, and Sara to the WTA Championships in Istanbul," the WTA Chair and Chief Executive Stacey Allaster said in a testimonial posted online. "We are only less than one month away from the WTA Championships and we are ready to build another breathtaking tournament for tennis fans in Istanbul and around the globe," she added.
The world's no 3 already withdrew from the recent U.S. Open because of her injury. This time around, she will be playing and for sure, we will witness her thrilling tennis trick shots and strokes.
There are still six more tournaments before the WTA Championships, namely the Pacific Open, China Open, Generali Ladies Linz, HP Open, BGL PNP Paribas Luxembourg Open and Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Manchester United: Van Gaal Warns Stars That He Will Willingly Bench Them
- Top 5 NBA Teams With The Highest Payroll In The 2014-2015 Season