Maria Sharapova Makes it to the Women’s Tennis Association Championship Despite Shoulder Injury
By Rachelle Corpuz | September 25, 2013 1:24 PM EST
Russian tennis superstar Maria Sharapova has made it to qualify for the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) Championship in October. The WTA confirmed the news on Monday.
Recently, Sharapova has been missing in action due to her shoulder injury. She kept herself busy promoting her premiere candy line Sugarpova. She has also appeared in several U.S. TV shows such as Larry King Now and Chelsea Lately. She even appeared during the New York Fashion Week. She definitely knows how to remain in the headlines even when she's not playing.
As the WTA has confirmed, she has managed to qualify for the upcoming tournament which will be held in Istanbul, Turkey. Agnieszka Radwanska from Poland also made the cut. Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka were earlier reported to have qualified for the 2013 WTA Championships too. Roberta Vinci and Sara Errani from Italy were the first team to qualify for the said tournament in the Doubles category.
It will be the 48th and the 38th editions for the singles event and double competition, respectively.
"Even though she continues to rehab her injury, we are excited to announce that we have added Maria, Agnieszki, Roberta, and Sara to the WTA Championships in Istanbul," the WTA Chair and Chief Executive Stacey Allaster said in a testimonial posted online. "We are only less than one month away from the WTA Championships and we are ready to build another breathtaking tournament for tennis fans in Istanbul and around the globe," she added.
The world's no 3 already withdrew from the recent U.S. Open because of her injury. This time around, she will be playing and for sure, we will witness her thrilling tennis trick shots and strokes.
There are still six more tournaments before the WTA Championships, namely the Pacific Open, China Open, Generali Ladies Linz, HP Open, BGL PNP Paribas Luxembourg Open and Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills