Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) topped luxury brands in the likes of Chanel, Prada and Alexander McQueen, according to the coolest brand chart of The Centre for Brand Analysis in Britain.
Other luxury brands lagging behind Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) are Aston Martin at second, followed by Rolex at third and Nike at fourth place.
However, Stephen Cheliotis, chairman of the CoolBrands council, noted that Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) is competing with not just luxury brands but highly competitive brands as well. For this reason, Apple faces a difficult challenge to maintain its position as the coolest brand.
"While Apple remained number one this year, question marks remain as to how long they might hold this position in the face of an increasingly competitive set of rivals," remarked Mr Cheliotis.
Meanwhile, Glastonbury Festival took the fifth place, followed by YouTube now at sixth place as compared to being at the second place in 2012. Google Inc (NASDAQ:GOOG) dropped to seventh place from being fifth and Twitter dropped to the eighth place.
Luxury brand Ray Ban is at tenth place while Chanel, Prada and Alexander McQueen lagged far behind at number 13, 14 and 109.
BBC iPlayer dived at number 16 from number 6 in 2012.
Spotify, surprisingly, got it to the top 20 for the first time.
Unpredictably, more affordable brands like Haagen-Dazs and Ben & Jerry's were nowhere in the list in 2013, while they were at numbers 13 and 15 in 2012. Department stores like Selfridges and Liberty, which were at numbers 14 and 10 in 2012, also didn't get in to the list for 2013.
Mr Cheliotis said that luxury brands were more visible this year than the more affordable brands because of the reviving British economy.
The list was made from taking votes from 3,000 consumers and a panel of 38 "key influencers" in the likes of television chef Gizzi Erskine and model Daisy Lowe.
Top 20 Cool Brands
1. Apple - Technology
2. Aston Martin - Automotive
3. Rolex - Accessories, Jewellery & Watches
4. Nike - Sportswear & Equipment
5. Glastonbury - Attractions & The Arts - Events
6. YouTube - Music & Movie Streaming
7. Google - Media - Networks, Platforms & Providers
8. Twitter - Social Media
9. Virgin Atlantic - Travel - General
10. Ray-Ban - Fashion , Accessories, Jewellery & Watches
11. Mercedes-Benz - Automotive
12. Bang & Olufsen - Technology - Audio
13. Chanel - Fashion - Clothing
14. Prada - Fashion - Clothing
15. adidas - Sportswear & Equipment
16. BBC iPlayer - Music & Movie Streaming
17. Sony - Technology - General
18. Sony Music - Media - Production
19. Alexander McQueen - Fashion - Clothing
20. Spotify - Music & Movie Streaming
About The Centre for Brand Analysis (TCBA):
TCBA is dedicated to understanding branding and the performance of brands. We provide our clients - be they brand owners, investors or agencies - with an objective and thorough view of a brand's position, couples with relevant insight into the latest best practice in brand marketing.
Our services are bespoke and tailored to each client's needs. We have a collaborative approach and frequently utilise our extensive relationships within the marketing and business community to deliver the very best results for our clients.
To contact the editor, e-mail: