Ian Somerhalder: 'Vampire Diaries' Actor Received Golden Goody Award at the Social Good Summit in New York City
By Jenalyn Villamarin | September 25, 2013 10:51 AM EST
Ian Somerhalder's dedication and hard work on green energy, environmental conservation and animal rights is now getting acknowledged as the "Vampire Diaries" actor received the Golden Goody Award at the Social Good Summit held in New York City.
Ian Somerhalder poses with his Golden Goody Award. Photo Credit: Twitter/@DelenaOTP
Devoted fans nominated Mr Somerhalder through the social networking site Twitter and the Goody Awards thought that the perfect time to honor the actor/activist is at the summit. "Thank you guys so much. This is an incredible honor, and I will try to keep it up," Ian stated during his acceptance speech.
Liz H. Kelly, the Goody Awards founder, also honored the 34-year-old heartthrob actor with the first Hero Goody necklace for the "Free The Children" advocacy. The necklace is a part of the new Tag Good program that the Goody Awards will officially launch at the "We Day" in Minnesota on October 8, 2013.
Ian Somerhalder joined RYOT News co-founders Bryn Mooser and David Darg at the Social Good Summit panel where the discussion focused on how RYOT News and social media give power to the worldwide citizens. "Ultimately using social media as the tool, that empowerment leads to activation, it leads to collaboration and ultimately it will lead to quantifiable change," Ian stated when asked about the power of social media and youth.
The actor further added: "If you can empower a young person or anyone to realize that you can do something locally that's actually going to impact our global nature, it's really, really empowering, and it creates doers, it's not just talking." Mr Somerhalder shared that the best social media site that he often uses is Twitter where his millions of followers continue posting the @iansomerhalder and @RYOTNews tweets.
"Now they're re-tweeting this, it's in schools, they're talking to their parents about it, and social media changed the world. This all has to be in a collaborative spirit, and I truly encourage anyone whether you have 5 followers or 5 million followers to use that microphone to amplify voices around you and spread that information. That's the idea, using social media to create quantifiable change," the actor explained.
Ian Somerhalder established the Ian Somerhalder Foundation (ISF) to persuade youth to take part in green projects and show support to environmental causes as well as animal rights. A couple of ISF projects included the "Green Your Thirst Campaign" that banned the sales of plastic bottles on campuses nationwide and the "Plastic Straws Can Suck It Campaign" that prohibited plastic straws around lakes and beaches.
More Articles to Read on Ian Somerhalder:
Ian Somerhalder: 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Casting Not Upsetting for 'Vampire Diaries' Actor [PHOTOS] - [READ]
Ian Somerhalder: Instagram Photo Shows 'Vampire Diaries' Actor Posing Inside His 'New Baby' Airstream Trailer - [READ]
'Vampire Diaries' Season 5: Actor Ian Somerhalder Talks About New Girlfriend Elena and Character Silas Comparable to Damon Salvatore in Season 1 - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People