Top 10 Battery Saving Tips While Using iOS 7 on iPhone and iPad
By Kristin Dian Mariano | September 24, 2013 3:15 PM EST
The iOS 7 was made available for download on Sept 18. Users of the iPhone 4, 4S and 5; iPod Touch 5th Generation; and iPad 2, 4 and Mini were able to update their devices to the latest software from Apple over-the-air or through iTunes.
The new mobile software brings new a design and interface. It also boots the new iTunes Radio, the music streaming feature of Apple, and expanded the old iTunes. It also comes with a new Control Center that puts your devices most-used settings front and center.
Yes, it seemed that the iOS 7 was packed with new features. However, the new operating system of Apple was also taking a heavy toll on the battery of iDevices.
Here are some tips on how to save battery life while using the new iOS 7:
1. Turn off "Air Drop" - This is one of the new features of iOS 7 that looks for iPhones nearby. Turn it off if you don't need it.
2. Turn off Wi-Fi searching - Wi-Fi searching eats the life out of your battery. If you do not need your phone to constantly look for Wi-Fi connection in the area, turn the feature off.
3. Dim the screen - Background light that is too bright drains your battery faster. You can dim the background light if there is enough light that allows you to see the screen.
4. Turn off the 3-D home screen wallpaper that is standard with the new iOS - You have the option to turn off the live wallpaper that comes with the new iOS 7.
5. Disable "Background App Refresh" - This is the feature which automatically updates and refreshes apps even when you are not using them. This your phone's Background App Refresh to save on battery life.
6. Turn off Notification Center widgets - Turn off the notifications that you do not really need like weather, stocks, etc.
7. Turn off Location Services - The Location Services app tracks your location through your device. If you don't need it, turn it off.
8. Turn off Push Notifications - Turn off any app that you do not want or need to be alerted about.
9. Turn off Siri's Raise to Speak - According to a report, people are saying that turning off Siri's Raise to Speak saved a lot of battery life.
10. Take proper care of your phone and battery - Sometimes battery drain is not related to the software; sometimes, users need to properly take care of the battery. This includes charging the battery when it is almost or fully consumed and making sure that it is properly connected when charging, as well as not overcharging it.
To contact the editor, e-mail: