With 25 Million Domesticated Animals, There are 2 Million More Pets in Australia Than People
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 23, 2013 1:12 PM EST
According to the survey commissioned by Australia's Animal Health Alliance, the country has 4.2 million pet dogs, 3.3 million pet cats, 10.7 million pet fish, 4.8 million pet birds and 2.2 million other small mammals such as pigs and reptiles.
The situation is not as skewed in favour of animals like in neighbour New Zealand where sheep outnumber people 4:1.
With Aussies buying gourmet food, buying insurance policies and pampering their pets with reflexology, acupuncture and hydrotherapy, the country's pet industry has grown to $8 billion a year.
Besides Australia having one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world, 90 per cent of Aussies who own pets regard them a part of the family and treat them better. Pet ownership is at 68 per cent for those who reside in free standing homes and 39 per cent for those in condo units or apartments.
The main reason Aussies have pets is for companionship, said the Australian Pet Ownership Survey scheduled for release on Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu