With 25 Million Domesticated Animals, There are 2 Million More Pets in Australia Than People
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 23, 2013 1:12 PM EST
According to the survey commissioned by Australia's Animal Health Alliance, the country has 4.2 million pet dogs, 3.3 million pet cats, 10.7 million pet fish, 4.8 million pet birds and 2.2 million other small mammals such as pigs and reptiles.
The situation is not as skewed in favour of animals like in neighbour New Zealand where sheep outnumber people 4:1.
With Aussies buying gourmet food, buying insurance policies and pampering their pets with reflexology, acupuncture and hydrotherapy, the country's pet industry has grown to $8 billion a year.
Besides Australia having one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world, 90 per cent of Aussies who own pets regard them a part of the family and treat them better. Pet ownership is at 68 per cent for those who reside in free standing homes and 39 per cent for those in condo units or apartments.
The main reason Aussies have pets is for companionship, said the Australian Pet Ownership Survey scheduled for release on Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family