With 25 Million Domesticated Animals, There are 2 Million More Pets in Australia Than People
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 23, 2013 1:12 PM EST
According to the survey commissioned by Australia's Animal Health Alliance, the country has 4.2 million pet dogs, 3.3 million pet cats, 10.7 million pet fish, 4.8 million pet birds and 2.2 million other small mammals such as pigs and reptiles.
The situation is not as skewed in favour of animals like in neighbour New Zealand where sheep outnumber people 4:1.
With Aussies buying gourmet food, buying insurance policies and pampering their pets with reflexology, acupuncture and hydrotherapy, the country's pet industry has grown to $8 billion a year.
Besides Australia having one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world, 90 per cent of Aussies who own pets regard them a part of the family and treat them better. Pet ownership is at 68 per cent for those who reside in free standing homes and 39 per cent for those in condo units or apartments.
The main reason Aussies have pets is for companionship, said the Australian Pet Ownership Survey scheduled for release on Sunday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Why NASA Says That Life Beyond The Earth May Exist In Jupiter's Moon, Europa
- 12th Century Sword Found By An Archaeologist Could Have Belonged To Ivan The Terrible
- Japan’s Robotic Industry Is On A Rebound
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- Nuclear Attack From Aliens Eradicated Life On Mars, Physicist Claims
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around