4.2.2 (10.3.1.A.2.67) official update released for the Xperia Z.
The software update, according to Sony, integrates display and camera improvements, notes Xperia Blog. Users can grab the update via OTA, Sony PC Companion/Sony Bridge and through manual installation. Navigate to Settings>> System>> About phone>> Software update>> OK to download and install the OTA update.
Xperia Z users, who wish to update their devices to the new firmware manually (using either of the methods below), may follow our step-by-step guide. It is advisable to do a factory reset to avoid errors, force close or application compatibility issue after flashing the firmware.
The update is for C6602 variant of Xperia Z. However, C6603 (LTE variant) users can also install the update manually (following the second method). After flashing the firmware, the 4G LTE connectivity might not work on Xperia Z C6603. But recognised XDA developer, DooMLoRD has shared a fix for this. To enable 4G/LTE feature on C6603, dial * # * # 4636 # * # * >> Phone Information >> LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL).
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Before flashing firmware, users are advised to ensure that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver (Windows/Mac) for Xperia Z to connect it with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using recovery. Click here for our guide to install CWM recovery on Xperia Z.
4) The Xperia Z should have above 80% of battery charge.
5) The device will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Additionally, custom recovery will be replaced by stock recovery.
6) The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official build.
7) The official Android 4.2.2 (10.3.1.A.2.67) Jelly Bean works only with Sony Xperia Z C6602. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Xperia Z by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 (10.3.1.A.2.67) Jelly Bean on Xperia Z C6602 via Sony Companion/Bridge
Step-1: Ensure the computer is having stable internet connection
Step-2: Download and install Sony Companion for Windows/Sony Bridge for Mac on computer
Step-3: Connect the Xperia Z to computer using USB cable
Step-4: Open Sony Companion/Sony Bridge on computer. Wait until Sony Companion/Sony Bridge detects the phone
Step-5: New Firmware Upgrade should be available at the home of Sony Companion/Sony Bridge. Press the Firmware Upgrade button to proceed
Step-6: Check the box to agree all the T&C and press Start Upgrade to proceed
Step-7: Wait download and install to run
Step-8: The device should now be running upgrade and reboot automatically
The update should now be completed. Navigate to Settings>> About phone>> Android & Baseband version to verify the new software version of the phone.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 (10.3.1.A.2.67) Jelly Bean on Xperia Z C6602 via Sony flash tool
Step-1: Download Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.2.67 firmware build for Xperia Z to the computer
File name: C6602_10.3.1.A.2.67_MAR by bleu.ftf
Step-2: Download Sony Flashtool to the computer. Double click on the flashtool.exe file to install. The flashtool folder should be seen in the C Drive
Step-3: Double click on flashtool icon to launch the flashtool
[First-timers navigate to C:/Flashtool/drivers folder to install Flashtool-drivers. Select and check the box of the device model and Flashmode Drivers.]
Step-4: Connect the Xperia Z to computer using cable. Ensure all drivers are installed properly
Step-5: Copy the downloaded ftf (official firmware file) to the C:/flashtool/firmwares folder in the computer
Step-6: On the flashtool, click the lightning icon and click flashmode then click OK. A new window should appear now
Step-7: At the right sidebar, check Data, Cache, Appslog boxes to wipe the device before flashing. To remain the device data, uncheck all the boxes
Step-8: At source folder, browse and choose .ftf in the flashtool/firmwares. .ftf
Step-9: Now press flash button to start installation
Step-10: Follow the prompt instructions
First unplug the phone from computer
Then power off the device
Third, enter Flash Mode on the device by pressing and holding Volume Down button while connecting the phone to computer using USB cable. The screen of the device will still remain blank in dark
Step-11: Monitor the Flashtool in computer. It should continue to run and flash the .ftf
Step-12: When the installation process is completed a message saying Flashing finished from the flashtool should appear
Turn the Xperia Z on. It should now be updated with the new firmware. To verify the software version running on the phone, head over to Settings>> About phone>> Android & Baseband version.
Also read: Root Xperia Z C6602 (Locked/Unlocked Bootloader) on Android 4.2.2 10.3.1.A.2.67 [GUIDE]
[Source: Android Teen]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: