Prince Harry: Takes Walking With The Wounded Charity South Pole Challenge ( WithVideo)
By Riza Ornos | September 20, 2013 3:47 PM EST
Tuesday, Nuneaton, England, Prince Harry endures the freezing cold temperature to get ready for Walking With The Wounded Charity South Pole Challenge. The 29-year old royal spent the entire night camping in an artificial ice chamber as he battles for a freezing 35 degrees below zero temperature, with a wind speed of 45 miles per hour.
The young prince will face this harsh condition when he treks to the South Pole in November, and the exercise is one of the simulation to get himself ready for the challenge. He will be racing with the team of injured British servicemen and women against groups from the United States and the Commonwealth.
This noble charity event will raise money to fund the wounded, injured and sick, and assisting them to find a career outside the Military. The charity is also held to raise awareness, to show the wounded and their story of survival and bravery, and to highlight the support they need.
Harry will be competing alongside four teammates - all amputees who lost limbs after sustaining injuries in Afghanistan. The prince team includes Captain Ibrar Ali, a 36-year old who lost his right arm from a bomb explosion in 2007; and Major Kate Philp, a 35-year old who lost her left leg in 2008 after her vehicle hit an explosive in Afghanistan.
The exercise is also to test the clothes they are wearing on the 200-mile (320 kilometers) expedition and to learned hot to avoid frost bite. When asked Tuesday what the worst part of his overnight experience was, Harry joked: "Going in."
When asked about how it feels to race with the prince, Philp says to the Guardian, "It's great having Harry along, and hopefully he appreciates it too. It's a chance not just for him to experience all the practical stuff that we've just done as well, but for us to get together as a team and start to get to know each other better."
The challenge is set to begin in late November and the expedition is expected to last about 15 days where they have to trek 9 to 12 miles a day. Other stars who are in the challenge includes "True Blood" Alexander Skarsgard and "The Wire's" Dominic West.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans