Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (LTE) gets Android
4.2.2 XXUDMH6 Jelly Bean official firmware
The Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 (LTE) gets a new official firmware update, Android 4.2.2 XXUDMH6 (September release), with more feature enhancements and bug-fixes than the previous release. The latest I9505XXUDMH6 firmware is now available for download via Samsung KIES, as well as through inbuilt Over-The-Air (OTA) update in select countries including Montenegro, Slovenia and Greece.
The OTA update is accessible from Settings > About Phone > Software Update. Those who missed the firmware OTA update notification and those who cannot wait for its official release in their country can follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually.
Android 4.2.2 XXUDMH6 Firmware Details
Date: September, 2013
Region: Montenegro, Slovenia, Greece
The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The I9505XXUDMH6 official firmware and instructions provided are limited to Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial.
- Download and install correct USB drivers for Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 on computer.
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options.
- Double-check the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencesboot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
How to Manually Update Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 to Android 4.2.2 XXUDMH6 Official Firmware via Odin
Step 1: Download Android 4.2.2 I9505XXUDMH6 Jelly Bean OTA for Galaxy S4 GT-I9506 and Odin v3.07 on your computer.
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file.
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a warning triangle sign appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy S4 to the computer via USB cable, while the device is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow or blue with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted I9505XXUDMH6 firmware folder obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must not be selected or checked.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit START button to begin flashing firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with a green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Wait until the home screen loads up. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
The Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 is now running on the latest Android 4.2.2 XXUDMH6 official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: