Ganesh Visarjan 2013: India Bids Farewell to Lord Ganpati [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | September 19, 2013 5:52 PM EST
The 10-day-long Ganesh Chaturthi festival concluded with Ganpati visarjan on Wednesday with great revelery across the country.
Ganesh Chaturthi, or Vinayaka Chaturthi, is one of the most celebrated festivals in India, particularlly in Maharashtra. It marks the birthday of Lord Ganesha, son of lord Shiva and Parvati. The festival ends on the 10th day on Anant Chaturdashi, with the immersion or visarjan of Ganesh idols in water.
During the 10 days, pandals are set up in almost every locality. Clasy idols are placed in the pandals or mandaps and also in homes.
According to Hindu mythology, the last day of Ganesh Chaturthi holds significant importance. Every year, idols of Lord Ganesh are carried by trucks, trollies, tempos and autoricksaws during the visarjan procession.
"Visarjan is the end of the ten-day long Ganesh Puja which is done with the immersion of idols in water. It is because Hindus worship Brahman or the Supreme Soul present in all animate and inanimate. But for majority of the people it is not possible to worship this formlessness. They need a form to pray to, to seek help, to cry and to take blessings," Atul Mishra, an astrologer told The Times of India.
This year, over seven million people came out on the streets of Maharashtra for Ganesh visarjan. In Mumbai, Lalbaugcha Raja, Girgaoncha Raja and Ganesha Gullycha Raja are some of the biggest idols of the elephant-headed god that were immersed in the waters on Wednesday.
Some of the places in Mumbai where the immersions took place include Juhu Chowpatty, Girgaum Chowpatty, Shivaji Park, Pawai Lake, Worli, Versova, Madh Island, Manori, Gorai, Thane Creek, Bhayander Creek and Vasai Creek.
Check out the pictures of Ganesh visarjan here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness