Ganesh Visarjan 2013: India Bids Farewell to Lord Ganpati [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | September 19, 2013 5:52 PM EST
The 10-day-long Ganesh Chaturthi festival concluded with Ganpati visarjan on Wednesday with great revelery across the country.
Ganesh Chaturthi, or Vinayaka Chaturthi, is one of the most celebrated festivals in India, particularlly in Maharashtra. It marks the birthday of Lord Ganesha, son of lord Shiva and Parvati. The festival ends on the 10th day on Anant Chaturdashi, with the immersion or visarjan of Ganesh idols in water.
During the 10 days, pandals are set up in almost every locality. Clasy idols are placed in the pandals or mandaps and also in homes.
According to Hindu mythology, the last day of Ganesh Chaturthi holds significant importance. Every year, idols of Lord Ganesh are carried by trucks, trollies, tempos and autoricksaws during the visarjan procession.
"Visarjan is the end of the ten-day long Ganesh Puja which is done with the immersion of idols in water. It is because Hindus worship Brahman or the Supreme Soul present in all animate and inanimate. But for majority of the people it is not possible to worship this formlessness. They need a form to pray to, to seek help, to cry and to take blessings," Atul Mishra, an astrologer told The Times of India.
This year, over seven million people came out on the streets of Maharashtra for Ganesh visarjan. In Mumbai, Lalbaugcha Raja, Girgaoncha Raja and Ganesha Gullycha Raja are some of the biggest idols of the elephant-headed god that were immersed in the waters on Wednesday.
Some of the places in Mumbai where the immersions took place include Juhu Chowpatty, Girgaum Chowpatty, Shivaji Park, Pawai Lake, Worli, Versova, Madh Island, Manori, Gorai, Thane Creek, Bhayander Creek and Vasai Creek.
Check out the pictures of Ganesh visarjan here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’