Ganesh Visarjan 2013: India Bids Farewell to Lord Ganpati [PHOTOS]
By Ankita Mehta | September 19, 2013 5:52 PM EST
The 10-day-long Ganesh Chaturthi festival concluded with Ganpati visarjan on Wednesday with great revelery across the country.
Ganesh Chaturthi, or Vinayaka Chaturthi, is one of the most celebrated festivals in India, particularlly in Maharashtra. It marks the birthday of Lord Ganesha, son of lord Shiva and Parvati. The festival ends on the 10th day on Anant Chaturdashi, with the immersion or visarjan of Ganesh idols in water.
During the 10 days, pandals are set up in almost every locality. Clasy idols are placed in the pandals or mandaps and also in homes.
According to Hindu mythology, the last day of Ganesh Chaturthi holds significant importance. Every year, idols of Lord Ganesh are carried by trucks, trollies, tempos and autoricksaws during the visarjan procession.
"Visarjan is the end of the ten-day long Ganesh Puja which is done with the immersion of idols in water. It is because Hindus worship Brahman or the Supreme Soul present in all animate and inanimate. But for majority of the people it is not possible to worship this formlessness. They need a form to pray to, to seek help, to cry and to take blessings," Atul Mishra, an astrologer told The Times of India.
This year, over seven million people came out on the streets of Maharashtra for Ganesh visarjan. In Mumbai, Lalbaugcha Raja, Girgaoncha Raja and Ganesha Gullycha Raja are some of the biggest idols of the elephant-headed god that were immersed in the waters on Wednesday.
Some of the places in Mumbai where the immersions took place include Juhu Chowpatty, Girgaum Chowpatty, Shivaji Park, Pawai Lake, Worli, Versova, Madh Island, Manori, Gorai, Thane Creek, Bhayander Creek and Vasai Creek.
Check out the pictures of Ganesh visarjan here:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide