Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
By Anne Lu | September 19, 2013 3:10 PM EST
Lorde has broken another record. The Kiwi teen singer now holds the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist for her international chart-topper “Royals.” The accolade was previously held by Alanis Morissette with her hit “You Oughta Know.”
Morissette held the record for five weeks in 1995. And now, Lorde, the 16-year-old schoolgirl from New Zealand, has broken the older singer’s record by leading the list for six weeks.
“Royals” is also the first song by a female solo singer to top the Alternative Songs chart in 17 years since Tracy Bonham’s “Mother Mother” in 1996.
That’s a significant feat considering that in Billboard Alternative Songs chart’s 25-year history, only 10 tracks by women in lead roles have topped it.
Here’s Billboard’s list of chart-topping artists and songs (from longest stay to shortest):
Six weeks (to-date), “Royals,” Lorde, Aug 24, 2013
Five weeks, “You Oughta Know,” Alanis Morisette, July 22, 1995
Three weeks, “Mother Mother,” Tracy Bonham, June 8, 1996
Three weeks, “Love and Anger,” Kate Bush, Dec 9, 1989
Two weeks, “Ironic,” Alanis Morissette, Mar 16, 1996
Two weeks, “God,” Tori Amos, Mar 19, 1994
One week, “Hand in My Pocket,” Alanis Morissette, Oct 14, 1995
One week, “Blood Makes Noise,” Suzanne Vega, Oct 10, 1992
One week, “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” Sinead O’Connor, May 12, 1990
One week, “Nothing Compares 2 U,” Sinead O’Connor, Mar 31, 1990
The young singer, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, has recently revealed that she turned down an offer to be the opening number for Katy Perry’s upcoming world tour.
The gig would have been lucrative and beneficial to her career, but Lorde turned it down because it just didn’t feel like it’s the right thing for her to do.
“I have a pretty good gut instinct for stuff aand if it feels right, I’ll do it,” she told TV3 show “3rd Degree.” “I think she’s really talented.”
And by the looks of it, she has made the right choice. Though Perry’s star power might have helped her career, Lorde is doing pretty well by herself in conquering the international music scene.
Lorde on “Later... with Jools Holland”
Selena Gomez Covers Lorde’s Hit ‘Royals’ [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’