Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
By Anne Lu | September 19, 2013 3:10 PM EST
Lorde has broken another record. The Kiwi teen singer now holds the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist for her international chart-topper “Royals.” The accolade was previously held by Alanis Morissette with her hit “You Oughta Know.”
Morissette held the record for five weeks in 1995. And now, Lorde, the 16-year-old schoolgirl from New Zealand, has broken the older singer’s record by leading the list for six weeks.
“Royals” is also the first song by a female solo singer to top the Alternative Songs chart in 17 years since Tracy Bonham’s “Mother Mother” in 1996.
That’s a significant feat considering that in Billboard Alternative Songs chart’s 25-year history, only 10 tracks by women in lead roles have topped it.
Here’s Billboard’s list of chart-topping artists and songs (from longest stay to shortest):
Six weeks (to-date), “Royals,” Lorde, Aug 24, 2013
Five weeks, “You Oughta Know,” Alanis Morisette, July 22, 1995
Three weeks, “Mother Mother,” Tracy Bonham, June 8, 1996
Three weeks, “Love and Anger,” Kate Bush, Dec 9, 1989
Two weeks, “Ironic,” Alanis Morissette, Mar 16, 1996
Two weeks, “God,” Tori Amos, Mar 19, 1994
One week, “Hand in My Pocket,” Alanis Morissette, Oct 14, 1995
One week, “Blood Makes Noise,” Suzanne Vega, Oct 10, 1992
One week, “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” Sinead O’Connor, May 12, 1990
One week, “Nothing Compares 2 U,” Sinead O’Connor, Mar 31, 1990
The young singer, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, has recently revealed that she turned down an offer to be the opening number for Katy Perry’s upcoming world tour.
The gig would have been lucrative and beneficial to her career, but Lorde turned it down because it just didn’t feel like it’s the right thing for her to do.
“I have a pretty good gut instinct for stuff aand if it feels right, I’ll do it,” she told TV3 show “3rd Degree.” “I think she’s really talented.”
And by the looks of it, she has made the right choice. Though Perry’s star power might have helped her career, Lorde is doing pretty well by herself in conquering the international music scene.
Lorde on “Later... with Jools Holland”
Selena Gomez Covers Lorde’s Hit ‘Royals’ [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes