Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
By Anne Lu | September 19, 2013 3:10 PM EST
Lorde has broken another record. The Kiwi teen singer now holds the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist for her international chart-topper “Royals.” The accolade was previously held by Alanis Morissette with her hit “You Oughta Know.”
Morissette held the record for five weeks in 1995. And now, Lorde, the 16-year-old schoolgirl from New Zealand, has broken the older singer’s record by leading the list for six weeks.
“Royals” is also the first song by a female solo singer to top the Alternative Songs chart in 17 years since Tracy Bonham’s “Mother Mother” in 1996.
That’s a significant feat considering that in Billboard Alternative Songs chart’s 25-year history, only 10 tracks by women in lead roles have topped it.
Here’s Billboard’s list of chart-topping artists and songs (from longest stay to shortest):
Six weeks (to-date), “Royals,” Lorde, Aug 24, 2013
Five weeks, “You Oughta Know,” Alanis Morisette, July 22, 1995
Three weeks, “Mother Mother,” Tracy Bonham, June 8, 1996
Three weeks, “Love and Anger,” Kate Bush, Dec 9, 1989
Two weeks, “Ironic,” Alanis Morissette, Mar 16, 1996
Two weeks, “God,” Tori Amos, Mar 19, 1994
One week, “Hand in My Pocket,” Alanis Morissette, Oct 14, 1995
One week, “Blood Makes Noise,” Suzanne Vega, Oct 10, 1992
One week, “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” Sinead O’Connor, May 12, 1990
One week, “Nothing Compares 2 U,” Sinead O’Connor, Mar 31, 1990
The young singer, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, has recently revealed that she turned down an offer to be the opening number for Katy Perry’s upcoming world tour.
The gig would have been lucrative and beneficial to her career, but Lorde turned it down because it just didn’t feel like it’s the right thing for her to do.
“I have a pretty good gut instinct for stuff aand if it feels right, I’ll do it,” she told TV3 show “3rd Degree.” “I think she’s really talented.”
And by the looks of it, she has made the right choice. Though Perry’s star power might have helped her career, Lorde is doing pretty well by herself in conquering the international music scene.
Lorde on “Later... with Jools Holland”
Selena Gomez Covers Lorde’s Hit ‘Royals’ [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports