Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
By Anne Lu | September 19, 2013 3:10 PM EST
Lorde has broken another record. The Kiwi teen singer now holds the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist for her international chart-topper “Royals.” The accolade was previously held by Alanis Morissette with her hit “You Oughta Know.”
Morissette held the record for five weeks in 1995. And now, Lorde, the 16-year-old schoolgirl from New Zealand, has broken the older singer’s record by leading the list for six weeks.
“Royals” is also the first song by a female solo singer to top the Alternative Songs chart in 17 years since Tracy Bonham’s “Mother Mother” in 1996.
That’s a significant feat considering that in Billboard Alternative Songs chart’s 25-year history, only 10 tracks by women in lead roles have topped it.
Here’s Billboard’s list of chart-topping artists and songs (from longest stay to shortest):
Six weeks (to-date), “Royals,” Lorde, Aug 24, 2013
Five weeks, “You Oughta Know,” Alanis Morisette, July 22, 1995
Three weeks, “Mother Mother,” Tracy Bonham, June 8, 1996
Three weeks, “Love and Anger,” Kate Bush, Dec 9, 1989
Two weeks, “Ironic,” Alanis Morissette, Mar 16, 1996
Two weeks, “God,” Tori Amos, Mar 19, 1994
One week, “Hand in My Pocket,” Alanis Morissette, Oct 14, 1995
One week, “Blood Makes Noise,” Suzanne Vega, Oct 10, 1992
One week, “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” Sinead O’Connor, May 12, 1990
One week, “Nothing Compares 2 U,” Sinead O’Connor, Mar 31, 1990
The young singer, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, has recently revealed that she turned down an offer to be the opening number for Katy Perry’s upcoming world tour.
The gig would have been lucrative and beneficial to her career, but Lorde turned it down because it just didn’t feel like it’s the right thing for her to do.
“I have a pretty good gut instinct for stuff aand if it feels right, I’ll do it,” she told TV3 show “3rd Degree.” “I think she’s really talented.”
And by the looks of it, she has made the right choice. Though Perry’s star power might have helped her career, Lorde is doing pretty well by herself in conquering the international music scene.
Lorde on “Later... with Jools Holland”
Selena Gomez Covers Lorde’s Hit ‘Royals’ [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast