Lorde’s ‘Royals’ Breaks Alanis Morissette’s Billboard Record
By Anne Lu | September 19, 2013 3:10 PM EST
Lorde has broken another record. The Kiwi teen singer now holds the record for the longest stay at the top of Billboard’s Alternative Chart by a female soloist for her international chart-topper “Royals.” The accolade was previously held by Alanis Morissette with her hit “You Oughta Know.”
Morissette held the record for five weeks in 1995. And now, Lorde, the 16-year-old schoolgirl from New Zealand, has broken the older singer’s record by leading the list for six weeks.
“Royals” is also the first song by a female solo singer to top the Alternative Songs chart in 17 years since Tracy Bonham’s “Mother Mother” in 1996.
That’s a significant feat considering that in Billboard Alternative Songs chart’s 25-year history, only 10 tracks by women in lead roles have topped it.
Here’s Billboard’s list of chart-topping artists and songs (from longest stay to shortest):
Six weeks (to-date), “Royals,” Lorde, Aug 24, 2013
Five weeks, “You Oughta Know,” Alanis Morisette, July 22, 1995
Three weeks, “Mother Mother,” Tracy Bonham, June 8, 1996
Three weeks, “Love and Anger,” Kate Bush, Dec 9, 1989
Two weeks, “Ironic,” Alanis Morissette, Mar 16, 1996
Two weeks, “God,” Tori Amos, Mar 19, 1994
One week, “Hand in My Pocket,” Alanis Morissette, Oct 14, 1995
One week, “Blood Makes Noise,” Suzanne Vega, Oct 10, 1992
One week, “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” Sinead O’Connor, May 12, 1990
One week, “Nothing Compares 2 U,” Sinead O’Connor, Mar 31, 1990
The young singer, whose real name is Ella Yelich-O’Connor, has recently revealed that she turned down an offer to be the opening number for Katy Perry’s upcoming world tour.
The gig would have been lucrative and beneficial to her career, but Lorde turned it down because it just didn’t feel like it’s the right thing for her to do.
“I have a pretty good gut instinct for stuff aand if it feels right, I’ll do it,” she told TV3 show “3rd Degree.” “I think she’s really talented.”
And by the looks of it, she has made the right choice. Though Perry’s star power might have helped her career, Lorde is doing pretty well by herself in conquering the international music scene.
Lorde on “Later... with Jools Holland”
Selena Gomez Covers Lorde’s Hit ‘Royals’ [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Make Their Big Brother Proud
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports