Update Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 to Official Android
4.2.2 XXUBMHF OTA Firmware
Samsung has rolled out its latest official Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware, Android 4.2.2 XXUBMHF (September 2013 build), for Galaxy Grand Duos (I9082) in several countries. The latest OTA firmware brings a host of new features to the handset such as lockscreen widgets, Daydream screensaver mode, dedicated toggles section in status bar and more.
As this is an unbranded firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked Galaxy Grand Duos, regardless of country or region. Those who missed the latest OTA update notification and those who cannot wait for its official release in their country may follow our step-by-step guide to install the same manually via ODIN.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The XXUBMHF Jelly Bean firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Grand Duos I9082 model only. It will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone including contacts, messages, MMS, photos, videos and APNs to avoid data loss while performing any wiping task during or after firmware installation.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the firmware.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Galaxy Grand Duos USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure the device is both carrier unlocked and bootloader unlocked to enable rooting and install custom ROMs in the future.
- The ODIN flash tool provided is designed to work only on Windows OS. Linux or Mac OS users are advised to use CrossOver Utility to run ODIN.
How to Install Official Android 4.2.2 XXUBMHF OTA Update on Galaxy Grand Duos I9082
Step 1: Download Android 4.2.2 I9082XXUBMHF Jelly Bean for Galaxy Grand Duos and Odin v3.07 on your computer.
Step 2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip files to the desktop. The extracted folder should have a .tar.md5 file and a few other files (optional).
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to obtain Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as some other files.
Step 4: Power off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Now boot the phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power button together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Now hit Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you obtained in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges is required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the phone to computer with original USB cable. When the device connects successfully, the ID: COM box will turn Yellow with the corresponding COM port number.
Step 7: Select the following files from I9082XXUBMHF folder in Odin using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the file named '.tar' or '.md5'
- Choose the Phone checkbox, and select the file named 'modem' (ignore if the file is not found in extracted firmware folder)
- Click the CSC checkbox, and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore if the file is missing in extracted folder)
- Choose the PIT checkbox, and click the .pit file. (ignore if there is no such file)
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But, the Re-Partition checkbox must be selected, only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step in ODIN.
Step 9: Verify if Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin flashing the update.
Step 10: Once the firmware installation completes, the phone will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now remove the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Your Galaxy Grand Duos is now successfully running on Android 4.2.2 I9082XXUBMHF Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware installed.
If the phone is stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo after Step 10, then go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together). Now perform Wipe data/Factory Reset as well as Wipe Cache Partition before choosing Reboot System Now function. Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery. Please note that performing a wipe function will erase data on your phone's internal memory and does not affect data on SD card.
[Source: Droid Firmwares]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: