Credit: XDA Developers
Owners of the Google Nexus S 3G and 4G variants have been denied to get Android 4.3 Jelly Bean due to low hardware components. Fortunately, developers made a firmware running Android 4.3 which is fast, smooth, stable and optimized the phone to support more apps and games.
Meet the SlimBean ROM for Nexus S
SlimBean ROM supports Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware based from AOSP version for Nexus S and it delivers features not found on the official Android 4.1.2 running the device. In addition, the developers optimized the device to make it more stable, faster and smoother compared to what Google released for Nexus S.
From Android 4.1 Jelly Bean features
- Project Butter
- Google Now
From Android 4.2 features
- Lock Screen Widgets
- Actionable Notifications
- Extended Quick Settings
From Android 4.3 features:
- Bluetooth Smart
- OpenGL ES 3.0
- Improved Dial Pad
- Better text input
- Virtual Surround Sound
- Real Dark theme
- Notification drawer and lock screen shortcuts
- Customisable Quick Settings tiles
- SlimPie launcher
- Built-in SlimBean ROM OTA Updater
Warning: SlimBean is a customized ROM which may damage your device during manual flashing. We are not liable for any damages which occur on your smartphone. Read, understand and follow the instructions to avoid damaging your device. Do this on your own risk!
Fulfil the follow requirements before flashing the custom ROM.
1. Your smartphone must be a Samsung Google Nexus S or Nexus S 4G. Do not apply this to any other smartphone or suffer unforeseen consequences.
2. The Nexus S must be unlocked from any network carrier or you won't be able to flash the ROM.
3. Unlock the Bootloader, Root and Install a ClockworkMod recovery on the device. Click here for the instructions and files needed.
4. Install the necessary USB drivers for your smartphone on your computer.
5. Create a backup of all personal information, settings and data files on your device.
6. Make sure that the battery level is at least 50 per cent to avoid power interruption.
7. Enable USB debugging mode on your device. Go to "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging mode" or "Settings > Developer Options > USB debugging mode."
8. Download the SlimBean Android 4.3 ROM and the Slim Google Apps package.
1. Connect the Google Nexus S to your computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy the SlimBean ROM and the Google Apps package you have downloaded earlier to the SD card (internal storage) of your smartphone. Do not extract any of them.
3. Disconnect the smartphone from the computer then turn it off.
4. Assuming you have rooted, unlocked the bootloader and install the ClockworkMod custom recovery, reboot the device into the recovery mode. Press and hold the Volume Up and Home keys at the same time. Once the bootloader appears, use the volume keys to navigate the Recovery then press the power key to select it.
5. Inside the Recovery mode, create a Nandroid backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restores > backup." The ROM is saved inside the internal storage which you can restore anytime.
6. Perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Then select "advanced > wipe Dalvik cache."
7. Go back to the main menu then install the custom firmware. Select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD > Slim Bean Android 4.3 ROM > confirm installation." Apply the same with the Google Apps.
8. Once the installation has been completed, go back then select "reboot system now."
9. Your Google Nexus S will reboot and may take up to five minutes before reaching the home screen.
Congratulations! Your Nexus S finally runs Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS, thanks to SlimBean custom ROM.
In case you want to use Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and get more add-ons such as Photo Sphere feature or post issues, visit their official Web site - SlimROMS.net
To contact the editor, e-mail: