NBA News: Rondo’s Return to Take a Little Bit Longer
By James Patrick Quizon | September 17, 2013 11:15 AM EST
Looks like the Boston Celtics will have to wait a little longer for their franchise player’s much-awaited comeback. News around the Celtics camp state that Rajon Rondo is participating in light workouts with the team, but no timetable has been set for his return.
“He’s obviously limited in what he can do on the court,” according to new head coach Brad Stevens in an interview with A. Sherrod Blakely of csnne.com. “But he’s a worker. That was one thing that was very noticeable.”
"He's excited about a new season, a new situation," Stevens said.
Same as the fans’ expectations, Rondo’s excitement should be lowered, as it appears that he will be missing the training camp, pre-season schedule and even some of the regular season games.
The four-time all-star tore his right ACL in January 2013 and went under the knife February to virtually end his season.
Rondo’s injury hastened the Boston front office’s decision to go to a full-time rebuilding mode in the offseason.
“Rajon might not be here for the beginning of the year or however long he takes, so it would be tough for us to be a contender or get into a position to contend. Everybody saw that and I think that helped the decision on both sides,” Paul Pierce said after he was traded to the Brooklyn Nets.
In an apparent salary-dump-and-build-for-the-future move, the Celtics moved Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to the Nets for Gerald Wallace, Kris Joseph, Kris Humphries and three future first-round picks.
Rondo’s presence in the camp, however, is more than enough to inspire his teammates.
“His work ethic is very good and it impacts the other guys in the gym," Stevens said. "We spent a lot of time together. He was great."
Rondo averaged 13.7 points, 11.1 assists and 1.9 steals in 38 games in the 2012-2013 season before he went down with the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes