NBA News: Rondo’s Return to Take a Little Bit Longer
By James Patrick Quizon | September 17, 2013 11:15 AM EST
Looks like the Boston Celtics will have to wait a little longer for their franchise player’s much-awaited comeback. News around the Celtics camp state that Rajon Rondo is participating in light workouts with the team, but no timetable has been set for his return.
“He’s obviously limited in what he can do on the court,” according to new head coach Brad Stevens in an interview with A. Sherrod Blakely of csnne.com. “But he’s a worker. That was one thing that was very noticeable.”
"He's excited about a new season, a new situation," Stevens said.
Same as the fans’ expectations, Rondo’s excitement should be lowered, as it appears that he will be missing the training camp, pre-season schedule and even some of the regular season games.
The four-time all-star tore his right ACL in January 2013 and went under the knife February to virtually end his season.
Rondo’s injury hastened the Boston front office’s decision to go to a full-time rebuilding mode in the offseason.
“Rajon might not be here for the beginning of the year or however long he takes, so it would be tough for us to be a contender or get into a position to contend. Everybody saw that and I think that helped the decision on both sides,” Paul Pierce said after he was traded to the Brooklyn Nets.
In an apparent salary-dump-and-build-for-the-future move, the Celtics moved Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to the Nets for Gerald Wallace, Kris Joseph, Kris Humphries and three future first-round picks.
Rondo’s presence in the camp, however, is more than enough to inspire his teammates.
“His work ethic is very good and it impacts the other guys in the gym," Stevens said. "We spent a lot of time together. He was great."
Rondo averaged 13.7 points, 11.1 assists and 1.9 steals in 38 games in the 2012-2013 season before he went down with the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet