NBA News: Rondo’s Return to Take a Little Bit Longer
By James Patrick Quizon | September 17, 2013 11:15 AM EST
Looks like the Boston Celtics will have to wait a little longer for their franchise player’s much-awaited comeback. News around the Celtics camp state that Rajon Rondo is participating in light workouts with the team, but no timetable has been set for his return.
“He’s obviously limited in what he can do on the court,” according to new head coach Brad Stevens in an interview with A. Sherrod Blakely of csnne.com. “But he’s a worker. That was one thing that was very noticeable.”
"He's excited about a new season, a new situation," Stevens said.
Same as the fans’ expectations, Rondo’s excitement should be lowered, as it appears that he will be missing the training camp, pre-season schedule and even some of the regular season games.
The four-time all-star tore his right ACL in January 2013 and went under the knife February to virtually end his season.
Rondo’s injury hastened the Boston front office’s decision to go to a full-time rebuilding mode in the offseason.
“Rajon might not be here for the beginning of the year or however long he takes, so it would be tough for us to be a contender or get into a position to contend. Everybody saw that and I think that helped the decision on both sides,” Paul Pierce said after he was traded to the Brooklyn Nets.
In an apparent salary-dump-and-build-for-the-future move, the Celtics moved Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to the Nets for Gerald Wallace, Kris Joseph, Kris Humphries and three future first-round picks.
Rondo’s presence in the camp, however, is more than enough to inspire his teammates.
“His work ethic is very good and it impacts the other guys in the gym," Stevens said. "We spent a lot of time together. He was great."
Rondo averaged 13.7 points, 11.1 assists and 1.9 steals in 38 games in the 2012-2013 season before he went down with the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2