NBA News: Rondo’s Return to Take a Little Bit Longer
By James Patrick Quizon | September 17, 2013 11:15 AM EST
Looks like the Boston Celtics will have to wait a little longer for their franchise player’s much-awaited comeback. News around the Celtics camp state that Rajon Rondo is participating in light workouts with the team, but no timetable has been set for his return.
“He’s obviously limited in what he can do on the court,” according to new head coach Brad Stevens in an interview with A. Sherrod Blakely of csnne.com. “But he’s a worker. That was one thing that was very noticeable.”
"He's excited about a new season, a new situation," Stevens said.
Same as the fans’ expectations, Rondo’s excitement should be lowered, as it appears that he will be missing the training camp, pre-season schedule and even some of the regular season games.
The four-time all-star tore his right ACL in January 2013 and went under the knife February to virtually end his season.
Rondo’s injury hastened the Boston front office’s decision to go to a full-time rebuilding mode in the offseason.
“Rajon might not be here for the beginning of the year or however long he takes, so it would be tough for us to be a contender or get into a position to contend. Everybody saw that and I think that helped the decision on both sides,” Paul Pierce said after he was traded to the Brooklyn Nets.
In an apparent salary-dump-and-build-for-the-future move, the Celtics moved Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to the Nets for Gerald Wallace, Kris Joseph, Kris Humphries and three future first-round picks.
Rondo’s presence in the camp, however, is more than enough to inspire his teammates.
“His work ethic is very good and it impacts the other guys in the gym," Stevens said. "We spent a lot of time together. He was great."
Rondo averaged 13.7 points, 11.1 assists and 1.9 steals in 38 games in the 2012-2013 season before he went down with the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People
- Raining Discounts: $100 Price Cut on Moto X; LG G3 Available for $100 On-Contract; Sony Xperia Z2 on Release Date Gets $50 Price Cut (U.S.)