NBA News: Rondo’s Return to Take a Little Bit Longer
By James Patrick Quizon | September 17, 2013 11:15 AM EST
Looks like the Boston Celtics will have to wait a little longer for their franchise player’s much-awaited comeback. News around the Celtics camp state that Rajon Rondo is participating in light workouts with the team, but no timetable has been set for his return.
“He’s obviously limited in what he can do on the court,” according to new head coach Brad Stevens in an interview with A. Sherrod Blakely of csnne.com. “But he’s a worker. That was one thing that was very noticeable.”
"He's excited about a new season, a new situation," Stevens said.
Same as the fans’ expectations, Rondo’s excitement should be lowered, as it appears that he will be missing the training camp, pre-season schedule and even some of the regular season games.
The four-time all-star tore his right ACL in January 2013 and went under the knife February to virtually end his season.
Rondo’s injury hastened the Boston front office’s decision to go to a full-time rebuilding mode in the offseason.
“Rajon might not be here for the beginning of the year or however long he takes, so it would be tough for us to be a contender or get into a position to contend. Everybody saw that and I think that helped the decision on both sides,” Paul Pierce said after he was traded to the Brooklyn Nets.
In an apparent salary-dump-and-build-for-the-future move, the Celtics moved Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Jason Terry to the Nets for Gerald Wallace, Kris Joseph, Kris Humphries and three future first-round picks.
Rondo’s presence in the camp, however, is more than enough to inspire his teammates.
“His work ethic is very good and it impacts the other guys in the gym," Stevens said. "We spent a lot of time together. He was great."
Rondo averaged 13.7 points, 11.1 assists and 1.9 steals in 38 games in the 2012-2013 season before he went down with the injury.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?