Xperia Z to Android
4.3 via AvatarROM 4.0 Nightly
Sony Xperia Z recently tasted its first Android 4.3 custom firmware, thanks to the release of CyanogenMod 10.2 (CM10.2) Nightly build by the CM team. Another custom variant of CyanogenMod ROM known as AvatarROM Build 4.0 Nightly is now available for Sony's flagship phone.
Based on original CyanogenMod sources, the AvatarROM 4.0 Nightly offers all the CM features along with its own custom tweaks and apps. Sony is yet to release an official firmware based on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean, but those who cannot wait for the official release can proceed with installing custom Android 4.3 AvatarROM 4.3 Nightly ROM, using our step-by-step guide below.
NOTE: Instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Head over to the XDA Developers source page to learn more about the features, bug-fixes and enhancements ported into this ROM.
Android 4.3 CyanogenMod ROM based AvatarROM 4.0 Nightly arrives for Xperia Z
- The AvatarROM4.0 Nightly and the instructions provided are limited to Sony Xperia Z model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial.
- Verify appropriate USB drivers are installed on the computer (Download Sony Xperia Z USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Menu > Settings > Applications > Development option.
- Double-check that phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- Verify if the device is unlocked (not locked to specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using the device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
Steps to Install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean via AvatarROM 4.0 Nightly on Sony Xperia Z
Step-1: Download Android 4.3 AvatarROM 4.0 Nightly for Sony Xperia Z and Google Apps on computer.
Step-2: Connect the Xperia Z to the computer via USB cable. Without extracting the zip file, copy the downloaded firmware zip to the root folder on phone's SD card.
Step-3: Disconnect the phone from computer and then Power it off
Step-4: Boot the Xperia Z into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. The recovery mode will appear soon.
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume buttons to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-5: In recovery mode first perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or users want to return to the previous firmware. To perform a Nandroid backup, select Backup and Restore then select Backup again on the next screen. When backup is completed return to the main recovery menu.
Step-6: Perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Then select wipe cache partition and after the wiping process completes select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. Once the wiping process is done, go back to the recovery menu.
Step-7: Select Install Zip from SD card then select Choose Zip from SD card. Now locate the AvatarROM 4.0 Nightly zip file which was earlier copied to the phone's SD card. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation on next screen.
Step-8: Once the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by choosing reboot system now. The first boot will take some time.
The Xperia Z should now be successfully updated with Android 4.3 AvatarROM 4.0 Nightly. Navigate to Menu >> Settings >> About phone >> Software info to verify the new firmware running on the device.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the Xperia Z into recovery mode. Then select Backup and Restore and restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: