Is Justin Bieber the New Robin in Batman vs Superman?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | September 15, 2013 8:24 PM EST
Pop icon Justin Bieber has raised many an eyebrow as he posted a picture of the Batman vs Superman script on his Instagram account with his name printed on it and with a caption #Robin??
The upcoming movie will have Ben Affleck play the new Batman and will be directed by Zack Snyder. Warner Bros has confirmed 2015 as the year of release for the film, which promises to be a mega-superhero adventure featuring Bruce Wayne/Batman and Clark Kent/Superman on opposite sides of the fence.
The film is to be based on Frank Miller's 1986 graphic novel The Dark Knight Returns. The Son of Krypton will be played by Henry Cavill, the star of this summer's big-budget Man of Steel. Pre-production has already begun for the much-awaited movie, with Christopher Nolan on board as executive producer.
Meanwhile, there has been a welter of criticism over the casting of the new Batman. A petition against casting Affleck as Batman has garnered over 50,000 signatures online.
John Roden, a Kentucky resident, was one of those who started the online petitions. One of the petitions claims: "His acting skill is not even close to being believable as Bruce Wayne and he won't do the role justice. He's not built, nor is he intimidating enough for the role of Batman. His portrayal of Daredevil [in 2003, co-starring Jennifer Garner, Colin Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan] was atrocious and he's not remotely close to an action-star. Please find someone else."
According to Roden, the petition is not meant to harm Ben Affleck or his career in any way. "I respect Affleck's work, I just feel he is inappropriate for the role."
Ben Affleck has not reacted to the criticism and has reportedly begun an intense work-out to help him bulk up to play the role of Batman.
He follows in the footsteps of Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer and Christian Bale who have played the role of the iconic caped crusader. The 41-year-old Affleck has reportedly been training for two hours a day to transform his physique.
"Ben provides an interesting counterbalance to Henry's Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can't wait to work with him," Director Zack Snyder stated.
Bieber, meanwhile, had hinted that he wanted to be more versatile as an actor.
"I hope to do some more acting. I have only done a few things like CSI, but I really want to do some more acting," he stated to E!.
He has previously appeared in CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and had a minor cameo in Men in Black 3.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Warns Gareth Of Dire Consequences In New Promo [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements