Australian NBL 2013-2014 Season News: Wollongong Hawks Acquires Import Durrell Summers
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 13, 2013 3:25 PM EST
Michigan State stand-out Durrell Summers will be playing for the Wollongong Hawks in the 2013-2014 season of the National Basketball League.
Summers has international as well as NBA D-League experiences under his belt.
He played for the Maine Red Claws and Idaho Stampede in two separate seasons in the D-League.
The Michigan native spent a season in France (S.O.M. Boulonnais) and in Venezuela (Trotamundos de Carabobo).
The 6'5" shooting guard is a well-rounded player who is known not only for his outside sniping but as well as his crazy hops but remains an asset on the defensive end.
He will be joining Rotnei Clarke, who was also signed as enforcement by the Hawks, as soon as immigration gives the green light.
Wollongong will be playing the Perth Wildcats and the Melbourne Tigers on Sept 21 and 22, before the season commences.
Hawks coach Gordie McLeod can't wait to welcome Summers to the team and introduce him to the system that he's running.
"We are looking forward to Durrell joining us, getting to know his team mates and our system," Coach Gordie McLeod told nbl.com.au.
"It has been a long recruitment process this year as we rebuild our core following the retirements over the past two years of Glen Saville and Mat Campbell. Sav and Mat played such an integral part in the team; we are mindful it will take time to make these adjustments,"
Summers was part of the Michigan State team, under distinguished head coach Tom Izzo, that made it to the NCAA finals in 2009 and the Final Four in 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’