Australian NBL 2013-2014 Season News: Wollongong Hawks Acquires Import Durrell Summers
By Mark Wayne Eubank | September 13, 2013 3:25 PM EST
Michigan State stand-out Durrell Summers will be playing for the Wollongong Hawks in the 2013-2014 season of the National Basketball League.
Summers has international as well as NBA D-League experiences under his belt.
He played for the Maine Red Claws and Idaho Stampede in two separate seasons in the D-League.
The Michigan native spent a season in France (S.O.M. Boulonnais) and in Venezuela (Trotamundos de Carabobo).
The 6'5" shooting guard is a well-rounded player who is known not only for his outside sniping but as well as his crazy hops but remains an asset on the defensive end.
He will be joining Rotnei Clarke, who was also signed as enforcement by the Hawks, as soon as immigration gives the green light.
Wollongong will be playing the Perth Wildcats and the Melbourne Tigers on Sept 21 and 22, before the season commences.
Hawks coach Gordie McLeod can't wait to welcome Summers to the team and introduce him to the system that he's running.
"We are looking forward to Durrell joining us, getting to know his team mates and our system," Coach Gordie McLeod told nbl.com.au.
"It has been a long recruitment process this year as we rebuild our core following the retirements over the past two years of Glen Saville and Mat Campbell. Sav and Mat played such an integral part in the team; we are mindful it will take time to make these adjustments,"
Summers was part of the Michigan State team, under distinguished head coach Tom Izzo, that made it to the NCAA finals in 2009 and the Final Four in 2010.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People