Lorde Shortlisted In Silver Scroll Awards, Releases New Single ‘Team’
By Anne Lu | September 13, 2013 11:03 AM EST
Lorde is fast becoming an international superstar, so it’s not surprising that she is also getting recognised in her own country. The 16-year-old Kiwi songstress has been shortlisted in the prestigious Apra Silver Scroll Award for 2013.
The Silver Scroll Awards is considered the most prestigious songwriting awards in New Zealand, where nominees are nominated on their songs’ merits rather than sales.
Lorde’s “Royals” will be up against Anna Coddington’s “Bird in Hand, Cy Winstanley’s “Complicated Man,” The Phoenix Foundations’ “Thames Soup,” and Aaradhna’s “Wake Up.”
“Hundreds of entries representing thousands of songwriting hours have been whittled down to the top five songs in line for the 2013 Apra Silver Scroll Awards. We are proud to be able to pay homage to this exceptional collection of exquisitely crafted songs,” Apra’s Anthony Healey was quoted by Fairfax NZ News as saying.
Apra will announce the winner on October 15 at the Vector Arena in Auckland.
In August, Lorde broke records in the U.S. by becoming the first female solo act in 17 years to top the Billboard Alternative Songs Charts with “Royals.” The track also peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Meanwhile, the Auckland student, whose real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor, has released a new single titled “Team.” It will hit stores on September 27.
“In that song, there are a few lines which are kind of me being the ‘realistic’ pop star: ‘We live in cities you’ll never see onscreen,’ which is like, no one comes to New Zealand, no one knows anything about New Zealand, and here I am, trying to grow up an become a person,” Lorde said of her single “Team” to Billboard.com.
“I’ve been countering that with going to New York and seeing this place that’s in every movie and every TV show. Part of me wanted to go back to writing for me and for my friends, and write something that I felt related to us a little bit.”
Listen to “Team”
Selena Gomez Covers Lorde’s Hit ‘Royals [Read]
Lorde Launches Debut Album ‘Pure Heroine’ At Intimate Auckland Show [Read]
Lorde Takes Over Billboard; Kiwi Teen Singer Becomes First Woman In 17 Years To Top Chart [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date