Lorde Shortlisted In Silver Scroll Awards, Releases New Single ‘Team’
By Anne Lu | September 13, 2013 11:03 AM EST
Lorde is fast becoming an international superstar, so it’s not surprising that she is also getting recognised in her own country. The 16-year-old Kiwi songstress has been shortlisted in the prestigious Apra Silver Scroll Award for 2013.
The Silver Scroll Awards is considered the most prestigious songwriting awards in New Zealand, where nominees are nominated on their songs’ merits rather than sales.
Lorde’s “Royals” will be up against Anna Coddington’s “Bird in Hand, Cy Winstanley’s “Complicated Man,” The Phoenix Foundations’ “Thames Soup,” and Aaradhna’s “Wake Up.”
“Hundreds of entries representing thousands of songwriting hours have been whittled down to the top five songs in line for the 2013 Apra Silver Scroll Awards. We are proud to be able to pay homage to this exceptional collection of exquisitely crafted songs,” Apra’s Anthony Healey was quoted by Fairfax NZ News as saying.
Apra will announce the winner on October 15 at the Vector Arena in Auckland.
In August, Lorde broke records in the U.S. by becoming the first female solo act in 17 years to top the Billboard Alternative Songs Charts with “Royals.” The track also peaked at #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Meanwhile, the Auckland student, whose real name Ella Yelich-O’Connor, has released a new single titled “Team.” It will hit stores on September 27.
“In that song, there are a few lines which are kind of me being the ‘realistic’ pop star: ‘We live in cities you’ll never see onscreen,’ which is like, no one comes to New Zealand, no one knows anything about New Zealand, and here I am, trying to grow up an become a person,” Lorde said of her single “Team” to Billboard.com.
“I’ve been countering that with going to New York and seeing this place that’s in every movie and every TV show. Part of me wanted to go back to writing for me and for my friends, and write something that I felt related to us a little bit.”
Listen to “Team”
Selena Gomez Covers Lorde’s Hit ‘Royals [Read]
Lorde Launches Debut Album ‘Pure Heroine’ At Intimate Auckland Show [Read]
Lorde Takes Over Billboard; Kiwi Teen Singer Becomes First Woman In 17 Years To Top Chart [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch