Marc Gasol Ready to Run with Grizzlies
By James Patrick Quizon | September 13, 2013 10:08 AM EST
In the midst of Spain’s campaign at the 2013 FIBA Europe Championships, Marc Gasol found time to comment about his new Memphis Grizzlies head coach and the style he’ll bring to the team. And he’s excited about the plans for the Grizzlies to use a more fast-paced offense for the new season.
“He knows us pretty well. He knows how we play. He knows us personally, how we like to play basketball. He, of course, wants to push the tempo, which has been a problem for us, getting up and down the floor to score easy buckets. Because when you always go inside, everybody collapses on you in the paint and it's hard to operate down there.” Gasol said in an article by Mark Woods of ESPN.COM.
The Spanish center is referring to new head coach Dave Joerger, a long-time assistant with the Grizzlies and is coming in to replace Lionel Hollins. The latter was more of a defensive-first type of coach as the latter emphasised slowing the pace down and taking advantage of the team’s inside play.
Joerger, who served as an assistant with the Grizzlies since 2007, handled the Dakota Wizards as the head coach in the International Basketball Association, Continental Basketball Association and the NBA Developmental League with championships in 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2007. He was the head coach of Sioux Falls Skyforce from 2004 to 2006 and has one title with the team.
The Grizzlies are coming off a Western Conference Finals appearance behind one of the stingiest defense in the league. Memphis was the number one team in points scored allowed, giving up only 89.4 points per game.
The core of the Grizzlies remains the same for the 2013-14 season. Aside from Gasol, returning are Zach Randolph and Mike Conley. New acquisitions in the off-season include veteran shooter Mike Miller and Greek guard Nick Calathes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS