Next-generation Google Nexus 5 is expected to run the upcoming Android 4.4 KitKat on October 2013. Google will push the update later on among other Nexus devices including Nexus 7 2. Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC Google Play Editions are also in line to get it firsthand!
Nexus Device Attribute
Nexus phones and tablets are made by Google with cooperation of chosen manufacturers such as LG and Samsung. Unlike with other Android devices in stores, Nexus has certain unique and exclusive attributes.
1. Firsthand on the official Android update push. So expect Android 4.4 KitKat coming to your device very soon.
2. Vanilla Android UI which doesn't involve heavy features and clutters. Android 4.4 KitKat will feature a renewed UI.
3. Bloatware found on Nexus devices are Google services. These services eat a fraction of the storage space, contrary with branded manufacturers' exclusive but heavy apps.
4. Few Android features are not found in any other Android-running devices such as Photo Sphere. However, manufacturers can always get them from Google.
5. Nexus owners can get instant access to known apps and services from Google which in beta stage.
6. Definitely cheaper compared with other Android device makers.
Google Play Editions: HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4 and Upcoming Sony Xperia Z
HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4 have been seen running the pure Android 4.3 Jelly Bean after the firmware was released. Google is also selling these devices on the Play Store which is available in selected territories. Sony is currently developing an AOSP version of the Xperia Z which runs pure Android Vanilla of the Jelly Bean version.
These Google Play Edition smartphones are considered as "Nexus" due to the Vanilla interface they feature and are freed of modified launchers such as Sense and TouchWiz, aside from "no exclusive apps" from their makers.
Android 4.4 KitKat is expected to arrive soon to all phones and tablets labelled as "Nexus." These devices will receive the following new features:
1. Android Jelly Bean goodies: Project Butter, Google Now, Bluetooth Smart/Low Energy, OpenGL ES 3.0, Lock screen Widgets, Quick Settings, Actionable Notifications, Daydream and many more.
2. Optimisation and additional support for more processors
3. Brand new user interface
4. Low battery-consuming native sensors
5. Increased global network compatibility and coverage
6. Faster, smoother and more responsive software
7. Enhanced battery life
8. Major bug fixes and performance optimisation
9. Light on storage and RAM
10. Exclusive Android cloud storage system
To contact the editor, e-mail: