German Becomes First Transgender Man in Europe to Give Birth
By Roshni Mahesh | September 11, 2013 10:41 PM EST
A German citizen has become the first transgender man in Europe to conceive and give birth to a baby, naturally.
The man, whose identity remains undisclosed, gave birth to a baby boy on 18 March, at his home in Neukoellin district of Berlin.
The man, who had conceived with the help of a sperm donor, didn't want to give birth in a hospital since he would be referred to as a 'mother' in the birth certificate.
"The person in question did not want to appear as a mother but as a father on the birth certificate and that request has been honoured," spokesperson for the Berlin Senate Administration for Internal Affairs, told, iol lifestyle.
According to reports, the man, who was born female, has been undergoing hormone therapies to change his sex and become a man. But he had kept his female sexual reproductive organs intact, which resulted in the pregnancy.
The news has invited mixed reactions on social media circles and has raised concern about the actual cause behind a transgender man opting to have a child.
"These stories worry me about the state of care for transgendered people," one of the readers, while responding to the news, wrote in Daily Mail.
"There are meant to be intense psychological tests carried out before starting gender reassignment surgery. It's difficult to imagine how and why these pregnancies happen when surely such things should flag up that perhaps the patient is not getting what they actually need."
Transgender births have been part of medical history for quite some time. Thomas Beatie, popularly known as the world's first pregnant man, made headlines around the world when he became pregnant via artificial insemination in 2007. Though his first pregnancy was ectopic (an occurrence when the egg implants and develops in the fallopian tubes), he has given birth to his three children with his wife of nine years, Nancy. Beatie was transformed to a complete man after he underwent a female-to-male gender reassignment surgery in April, 2012.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Australia's Response to Ebola Crisis 'Lethally Inadequate'
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- 5 Myths About The Gluten-Free Diet Every Fad Fanatic Should Know
- A Baby Shot In The Head Due To Hunting Accident In Pennsylvania; Chances of Blindness
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build