German Becomes First Transgender Man in Europe to Give Birth
By Roshni Mahesh | September 11, 2013 10:41 PM EST
A German citizen has become the first transgender man in Europe to conceive and give birth to a baby, naturally.
The man, whose identity remains undisclosed, gave birth to a baby boy on 18 March, at his home in Neukoellin district of Berlin.
The man, who had conceived with the help of a sperm donor, didn't want to give birth in a hospital since he would be referred to as a 'mother' in the birth certificate.
"The person in question did not want to appear as a mother but as a father on the birth certificate and that request has been honoured," spokesperson for the Berlin Senate Administration for Internal Affairs, told, iol lifestyle.
According to reports, the man, who was born female, has been undergoing hormone therapies to change his sex and become a man. But he had kept his female sexual reproductive organs intact, which resulted in the pregnancy.
The news has invited mixed reactions on social media circles and has raised concern about the actual cause behind a transgender man opting to have a child.
"These stories worry me about the state of care for transgendered people," one of the readers, while responding to the news, wrote in Daily Mail.
"There are meant to be intense psychological tests carried out before starting gender reassignment surgery. It's difficult to imagine how and why these pregnancies happen when surely such things should flag up that perhaps the patient is not getting what they actually need."
Transgender births have been part of medical history for quite some time. Thomas Beatie, popularly known as the world's first pregnant man, made headlines around the world when he became pregnant via artificial insemination in 2007. Though his first pregnancy was ectopic (an occurrence when the egg implants and develops in the fallopian tubes), he has given birth to his three children with his wife of nine years, Nancy. Beatie was transformed to a complete man after he underwent a female-to-male gender reassignment surgery in April, 2012.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories