Pope Francis Accepts 20-Year-Old Renault 4 Gift of Italian Priest, Takes Key and Drives Car
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 11, 2013 9:47 AM EST
Pope Francis now has a second car. He already uses a Ford Focus, but was recently gifted by Fr Renzo Zocca, an Italian priest, a 20-year-old white Renault 4.
Fr Zocca presented him the vehicle over the weekend, and the pontiff himself took the key and drove the car which is the same model he used to drive in Argentina.
The old car has 300,000 miles on it. His acceptance of an old vehicle reflects the simplicity the pope is known for, even during his days as Buenos Aires Jorge Mario Cardinal Bergoglio.
Unlike his predecessor who used more expensive vehicles, Pope Francis eschewed the limousines and bullet-proof Mercedes Benz used by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI when the latter was the leader of the 2-billion strong Roman Catholic Church.
Fr Zocca explained that he decided to give his old Renault 4 to the pope since he was touched by the pontiff's effort to create a Church for the poor, BBC quoted the Italian priest.
Pope Francis called Fr Zocca to inform him that he is accepting the gift, which led the Italian priest to bring the car to Vatican on Saturday.
The personal phone call has become a trademark of Pope Francis, who in recent days also called a woman who was contemplating abortion and another who was a rape victim.
Michele Ferri, one of the recipients of his personal calls who wrote to the pope in a rage, told CBS she expected to receive only a letter from Rome, not a personal phone call from its chief shepherd.
However, Vatican officials warn that there are already impersonators of the pope who had been calling other people, including a French gay man. Christopher Trutino, the 25-year-old gay Catholic from Toulouse, France, wrote a letter to the pope to explain his struggle with his sexuality and faith.
Trutino quoted the reply of his caller that "Your homosexuality doesn't matter," but Vatican spokesman Fr Lombardi denied that Pope Francis called Christopher. He said the only call that the pope has made to France was to speak to Cardinal Barbarin.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Honda Connect a System Based on Android and NVIDIA Tegra Processor To make Driving Easy
- Over 1,000 New Jobs Available at Oakville Assembly – Ford of Canada
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery