Apps News: Watch Dogs Companion App, Ultima IV C64 on iOS, Xbox One SmartGlass Detailed
By Gel Galang | September 9, 2013 11:56 AM EST
Companion apps for upcoming games are becoming a total trend. Whether you are aiming for better strategies and gameplay with shooter games or as a possible additional player to the game, a companion app for the game is really starting to take root.
Watch Dogs is one of those games, and the details of the companion app has finally been revealed.
Since hacking is a major part of Watch Dogs, and Aiden Pearce is the go-to guy for all things hacked, you can use the mobile app to be the guy to stop him-and give some challenge to your friends who are playing the game.
According to Kotaku, the app allows you to launch attacks on your friend who is currently playing the game as Aiden Pearce. This is probably cops and robbers (or hackers) at its most basic form, with you as the cop of the CTOS app responsible for hailing down obstacles to your friend.
There are a number of attacks that you can give your chosen player, and the more attacks you launch, the more unlocks that you will be able to tap into. As for the console player, this isn't all just hell and annoying challenges, as they will also get cash and XP (just as you will), which makes the Watch Dogs CTOS app a more interesting find.
Watch Dogs will be released on November 19 on the Xbox 360, PS 3, Wii U, and PC, as well as the next-gen consoles PS4 and Xbox One. However, there are no specific release dates yet for the CTOS app. What is known about the app is that it will work using Wi-FI or 3G, and can be used with an Android or iOS tablet or phone.
Upgrading the experience with the Xbox One Smartglass
The idea of the SmartGlass feature is not foreign to Xbox 360 users, as they already know just how the feature extends the capabilities of the gaming console.
However, with the upcoming release date of the Xbox One, it isn't a surprise that Microsoft will be rolling out updates to make sure that the app for the console is up to speed with the next-gen device
In a recent post on its official website, the Xbox One companion SmartGlass is said to have a number of add-ons. The first to remember is that it is a separate app from the Xbox 360 app from last year, with the Xbox One SmartGlass app slated for release on the Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, iOS, and Android.
"A core feature that was super important for us is that gamers can use SmartGlass for matchmaking on Xbox One. If you're I the middle of [a] game on your console, you can begin matchmaking for a multiplayer session through SmartGlass and you won't interrupt your action on the big screen."
One of the main improvements is the speed of connection from the console to the app, with a solid four-second connection recognition and establishment, which is three times faster than the current-gen.
The number of connections made has also been increased, with 16 SmartGlass devices capable of connecting with an Xbox One to make multiplayer games more interesting.
Basically, aside from various functions depending on the game that makes use of the SmartGlass app, this feature is also a remote app that lets you manage your Xbox One dashboard. This means that you can still connect to your games and community and check all your activities to make sure that you are always constantly updated with all that is happening with the Xbox One.
Are you going to explore the new functions of the SmartGlass app for the Xbox One once the next-gen console rolls out this November 22?
Ultima IV C64 lands on iOS as a free remake
Those who want a free game that is in the likeness of the Ultimate IV: Quest of the Avatar can enjoy the Ultimate IV: C64, which currently made a debut on the iOS App Store last September 6.
Touted to be a "near 100% replica" of the Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar, Mythic Studio makes use of the Elite System's C64L Elite Collection technology. Best of all, even as a free app, it contains no in-app purchases, so you don't have to miss out on anything if you don't want to buy.
In a press release attained by Joystiq, it details a number of features found in the game. For instance, there are grand adventures waiting for those who want to conquer evil and destroy dragons, demons, and wizards.
The app features digital copies of materials, such as the Player Reference Card by Lord British, and Ultimate IV Map of Britannia, in-game guides and gameplay guide for beginners, automatic saves to your game, and the choice of portrait or landscape mode when you play.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- LG G4: Speculations About The Next Big Thing For 2015
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Black Friday Sale 2014, Cyber Monday Deals: Walmart’s PS4 Bundles And Discounted Games With Gold
- ‘GTA V:' 1.19 Patch, Heists DLC Release With ‘Next Major Update’ Possible—Report
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Gets Errors Despite Patches; Devs Update Fans On Online Heists
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Update Version 1.1, Eon Ticket And Delta Episode Info Appear
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies