Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 Receives Android
4.3 via CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM
Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 users can now enjoy a fast and stable Jelly Bean experience, thanks to the release of Cyanogenmod 10.2 (CM10.2) Nightly custom ROM by CM team. The ROM is based on Android Open Source Project (AOSP), which brings a blend of the best Android 4.3 custom features and stock Android features in a cool package.
IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 via CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly build, courtesy of Vickyz.
Key Points to Note
- The CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM and the instructions provided are limited to the Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP.
- Verify appropriate USB drivers are installed on the computer (Download Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 USB drivers).
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if device is running Android 4.0 or later) or Settings > Applications > Development (if device is running Android 2.3 or earlier). If device is running Android 4.2, perform the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll to bottom of screen and select Build Number
- Tap phone's Build Number seven times to unlock or reveal hidden developer options under Settings. Then select checkbox to enable USB debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Double-check that phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- Verify if the device is unlocked (not locked to specific carrier) and rooted with ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) installed.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using the device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
- IBTimes UKreminds its readers that it will not be held liable if device is damaged during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 (LTE) GT-I9305 via CynogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM
- Connect and mount phone's storage or SD card on computer via USB cable.
- Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to root folder on phone's SD card.
- After file transfer process is done, disconnect USB cable from computer and Power off phone.
- Boot device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons. Wait until screen flashes and then release all three buttons.
- Take Nandroid backup of current ROM so it can be restored if new ROM fails to work or you want to return to original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore and then click Backup on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is complete.
- Perform a full data wipe task as follows: choose Wipe Data/Factory Reset and then click Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until data wipe process completes.
- Select Install zip from SD card and then click Choose zip from SD card. Browse to CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM zip file copied to phone in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and installation will begin.
- Once ROM is installed,repeat the previous step. This time choose Gapps zip file to install Google apps.
- Once Google Apps is also installed, return to CWM recovery main menu and click Wipe Cache Partition. Wait until wiping process completes and then choose Wipe Dalvik Cache under Advance options.
- Once Dalvik Cache wipe is done, tap reboot system now. The phone will now reboot into newly installed CM10.2 Nightly ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, leave it alone.
Returning to Previous ROM
To restore previous ROM: boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore and restore original ROM by selecting it from list.
The Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 is now successfully updated to Android 4.3 CyanogenMod 10.2 Nightly ROM. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify firmware version installed.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: