World War 3, End of Days, Armageddon Fears: Syria Crisis Linked to Jesus Christ's Second Coming
By Reissa Su | September 6, 2013 3:13 PM EST
Amidst World War III fears due to the impending U.S. military strike against Syria, the second coming of Jesus Christ was linked to Damascus in the scriptures of both Muslims and Christians. Some believers were interpreting biblical verses as a sign that the crisis in Syria will bring about the return of Jesus Christ to the world.
For some Christians, this verse from Isaiah 17:1 taken from the Bible's King James version, is relevant to what's happening in Syria:
"The burden of Damascus. Behold, Damascus is taken away from being a city, and it shall be a ruinous heap. "
The Bible text Isaiah 17 also gave more details about the coming destruction of Damascus that will indicate the second coming of Jesus Christ. Some also interpret the destruction of Syria as Armageddon.
Beyond the Jesus Christ's second coming, many Christian Web sites had been discussing about the prophesies in the Bible in relation to the Syria crisis and the possible beginning of World War 3. According to academics, the prophecy as written in the Bible was fulfilled in 732 B.C. when Damascus was destroyed by the Assyrians who invaded the city. Some scholars argued and said they were convinced that the End of Days have yet to pass.
It's not only the Christians who await the return of Jesus Christ. Muslims also believe in the second coming of Jesus Christ. According to the text in Surat An-Nisa (Sahih International translation):
"And there is none from the People of the Scripture but that he will surely believe in Jesus before his death. And on the Day of Resurrection he will be against them a witness."
Muslims had also found a hadith that provides a link to Damascus and the second coming of Jesus Christ. This text was taken from the Sahih Muslim Book 41, Hadith 7015:
"...Allah would send Christ, son of Mary, and he will descend at the white minaret in the eastern side of Damascus wearing two garments lightly dyed with saffron and placing his hands on the wings of two Angels."
The only difference in the Christian and Muslim tradition is, in the Muslim version, Jesus Christ is said to return before the destruction of the city.
Duke University's Muslim chaplain and founder of the Muslim Chaplains Association, Imam Abdullah Antepli, said in a Huffington Post report, that with prophecies, Islam has two schools of thought.
He said some Muslims understand the prophecies in the hadith and Quran as having literal meanings, while most Muslims do not interpret them literally.
When asked about the second coming of Jesus Christ, Imam Antepli said that for him, the second coming "represents a coming peace between Muslims and Christians." Together, they will establish a kingdom where peace and justice will reign on earth. The Imam believes a "literal" coming does not have to happen.
Other biblical scholars also warned that the Syria conflict and the U.S. military strike against the Assad regime will be the early signs in the beginning of World War 3 and the onslaught of End of Days.
Al-Qaeda-linked assault on Christian village in Syria
While the rest of the world continues to fear Armageddon and the coming of World War 3, rebels suspected of having ties with Al-Qaeda have launched an assault on a Christian village, west of Syria, according to Associated Press reports.
Based on another report of Al Hadath, an Arabic news agency, the rebels who attacked the village said they will seek revenge on the Christians if the U.S. will successfully attack Syria. Syria had previously warned the U.S. that it will start World War 3 once the military strike happens.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales