Andrew Bynum Still a Bum? Exact Date of Return Still Unknown
By James Patrick Quizon | September 6, 2013 2:57 PM EST
New Cleveland Cavaliers center Andrew Bynum is positive about his return to court in the 2013-14 season but is still unsure of the return schedule.
"I'm optimistic I'm where I should be. Obviously, I want to be playing. But I'm taking baby steps, doing what the team and the doctors tell me. I'm doing my part. I come to work every day. I'm moving in the right direction,” said Bynum in an interview with The Plain Dealer.
Bynum was selected by the Los Angeles Lakers with the 10th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft. He was traded to the Philadelphia 76ers in 2012 as part of the Dwight Howard megadeal that involved a total of four teams.
However, Bynum never played a single game for the Sixers, missing the entire 2012-13 season with knee injuries. Bynum is a two-time NBA champion with the Lakers, where he averaged career-highs of 18.7 points and 11.8 rebounds in his final season in L.A.
According to the same The Plain Dealer report, Bynum has not been cleared of full-court basketball but is already doing drills with the team’s development staff.
"I moved here a week after the press conference, I've been here ever since -- day in and day out just working,'' he said, referring to the team's practice facility. I'm there, focused. I'm doing everything I can do to get back. That's what all this is all about for me right now. I just want to play,” said Bynum.
Bynum signed a 2-year $24M contract with the Cavaliers in the off-season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales