Yoko Ono: 80 and Still Rocking It!
By Riza Ornos | September 6, 2013 8:06 AM EST
Four years after she released her debut album "Between My Head And The Sky", Yoko Ono is set to release her new album "Take Me To The Land Of Hell" on September 17, 2013 in Chimera Music. The new album features members from Cornelius and Cibo Matto with guest appearances from Andrew Wyatt, Nels Cline, Tune-Yards and Questlove.
John Lennon's widow is now 80 year-old but there is no sign that she is stopping anytime soon as she produced the LP with her son Sean Lennon and Yuka Honda. She recorded the album in New York that features remixes by Beastie Boys Mike D and Ad-Rock.
Ono is currently on a short European tour with Thurston Moore of alt-rock band Sonic Youth and just recently she curated the Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank Center. The festival features various performances by Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon, Patrick Wolfe, Boy George, Patti Smith, Peaches, Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull , Savages, and closes the festival with her song "Walking on Thin Ice" with Siouxsie.
When asked about her new album, she said, "My new album comes at a very special time for me. I'm so happy that it's being released after all the incredible shows that made up Meltdown."
"The energy I have right now, and the desire to continue to make as much great work as I can, is really moving me forwards all the time. This album is the culmination of a lot of ideas I've been having over the last few years and I feel proud to release it at such an exciting time of my life".
When asked if she have any plans of retiring , she said, "I don't think I'm there yet. Society tells you that when you're old you have to retire. You have to defy that. Please know that being 80 is not a scary thing. When you're 80, your life is much freer.
"I have energy. I walk a lot but also I work all the time. We don't live by just sleeping and eating. We need pride and dignity in our lives. Work gives you that. Art is like breathing for me. If I don't do it, I start to choke."
Dubbed by her late husband John Lennon, Yoko Ono is "the world's most famous known artist" and her new album is something that fans can watch out for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft