Yoko Ono: 80 and Still Rocking It!
By Riza Ornos | September 6, 2013 8:06 AM EST
Four years after she released her debut album "Between My Head And The Sky", Yoko Ono is set to release her new album "Take Me To The Land Of Hell" on September 17, 2013 in Chimera Music. The new album features members from Cornelius and Cibo Matto with guest appearances from Andrew Wyatt, Nels Cline, Tune-Yards and Questlove.
John Lennon's widow is now 80 year-old but there is no sign that she is stopping anytime soon as she produced the LP with her son Sean Lennon and Yuka Honda. She recorded the album in New York that features remixes by Beastie Boys Mike D and Ad-Rock.
Ono is currently on a short European tour with Thurston Moore of alt-rock band Sonic Youth and just recently she curated the Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank Center. The festival features various performances by Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon, Patrick Wolfe, Boy George, Patti Smith, Peaches, Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull , Savages, and closes the festival with her song "Walking on Thin Ice" with Siouxsie.
When asked about her new album, she said, "My new album comes at a very special time for me. I'm so happy that it's being released after all the incredible shows that made up Meltdown."
"The energy I have right now, and the desire to continue to make as much great work as I can, is really moving me forwards all the time. This album is the culmination of a lot of ideas I've been having over the last few years and I feel proud to release it at such an exciting time of my life".
When asked if she have any plans of retiring , she said, "I don't think I'm there yet. Society tells you that when you're old you have to retire. You have to defy that. Please know that being 80 is not a scary thing. When you're 80, your life is much freer.
"I have energy. I walk a lot but also I work all the time. We don't live by just sleeping and eating. We need pride and dignity in our lives. Work gives you that. Art is like breathing for me. If I don't do it, I start to choke."
Dubbed by her late husband John Lennon, Yoko Ono is "the world's most famous known artist" and her new album is something that fans can watch out for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery