Yoko Ono: 80 and Still Rocking It!
By Riza Ornos | September 6, 2013 8:06 AM EST
Four years after she released her debut album "Between My Head And The Sky", Yoko Ono is set to release her new album "Take Me To The Land Of Hell" on September 17, 2013 in Chimera Music. The new album features members from Cornelius and Cibo Matto with guest appearances from Andrew Wyatt, Nels Cline, Tune-Yards and Questlove.
John Lennon's widow is now 80 year-old but there is no sign that she is stopping anytime soon as she produced the LP with her son Sean Lennon and Yuka Honda. She recorded the album in New York that features remixes by Beastie Boys Mike D and Ad-Rock.
Ono is currently on a short European tour with Thurston Moore of alt-rock band Sonic Youth and just recently she curated the Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank Center. The festival features various performances by Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon, Patrick Wolfe, Boy George, Patti Smith, Peaches, Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull , Savages, and closes the festival with her song "Walking on Thin Ice" with Siouxsie.
When asked about her new album, she said, "My new album comes at a very special time for me. I'm so happy that it's being released after all the incredible shows that made up Meltdown."
"The energy I have right now, and the desire to continue to make as much great work as I can, is really moving me forwards all the time. This album is the culmination of a lot of ideas I've been having over the last few years and I feel proud to release it at such an exciting time of my life".
When asked if she have any plans of retiring , she said, "I don't think I'm there yet. Society tells you that when you're old you have to retire. You have to defy that. Please know that being 80 is not a scary thing. When you're 80, your life is much freer.
"I have energy. I walk a lot but also I work all the time. We don't live by just sleeping and eating. We need pride and dignity in our lives. Work gives you that. Art is like breathing for me. If I don't do it, I start to choke."
Dubbed by her late husband John Lennon, Yoko Ono is "the world's most famous known artist" and her new album is something that fans can watch out for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7'—5 Villains To Feature In The Movie, According To Reported Leaks [Spoilers]
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L