Yoko Ono: 80 and Still Rocking It!
By Riza Ornos | September 6, 2013 8:06 AM EST
Four years after she released her debut album "Between My Head And The Sky", Yoko Ono is set to release her new album "Take Me To The Land Of Hell" on September 17, 2013 in Chimera Music. The new album features members from Cornelius and Cibo Matto with guest appearances from Andrew Wyatt, Nels Cline, Tune-Yards and Questlove.
John Lennon's widow is now 80 year-old but there is no sign that she is stopping anytime soon as she produced the LP with her son Sean Lennon and Yuka Honda. She recorded the album in New York that features remixes by Beastie Boys Mike D and Ad-Rock.
Ono is currently on a short European tour with Thurston Moore of alt-rock band Sonic Youth and just recently she curated the Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank Center. The festival features various performances by Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon, Patrick Wolfe, Boy George, Patti Smith, Peaches, Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull , Savages, and closes the festival with her song "Walking on Thin Ice" with Siouxsie.
When asked about her new album, she said, "My new album comes at a very special time for me. I'm so happy that it's being released after all the incredible shows that made up Meltdown."
"The energy I have right now, and the desire to continue to make as much great work as I can, is really moving me forwards all the time. This album is the culmination of a lot of ideas I've been having over the last few years and I feel proud to release it at such an exciting time of my life".
When asked if she have any plans of retiring , she said, "I don't think I'm there yet. Society tells you that when you're old you have to retire. You have to defy that. Please know that being 80 is not a scary thing. When you're 80, your life is much freer.
"I have energy. I walk a lot but also I work all the time. We don't live by just sleeping and eating. We need pride and dignity in our lives. Work gives you that. Art is like breathing for me. If I don't do it, I start to choke."
Dubbed by her late husband John Lennon, Yoko Ono is "the world's most famous known artist" and her new album is something that fans can watch out for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0