Yoko Ono: 80 and Still Rocking It!
By Riza Ornos | September 6, 2013 8:06 AM EST
Four years after she released her debut album "Between My Head And The Sky", Yoko Ono is set to release her new album "Take Me To The Land Of Hell" on September 17, 2013 in Chimera Music. The new album features members from Cornelius and Cibo Matto with guest appearances from Andrew Wyatt, Nels Cline, Tune-Yards and Questlove.
John Lennon's widow is now 80 year-old but there is no sign that she is stopping anytime soon as she produced the LP with her son Sean Lennon and Yuka Honda. She recorded the album in New York that features remixes by Beastie Boys Mike D and Ad-Rock.
Ono is currently on a short European tour with Thurston Moore of alt-rock band Sonic Youth and just recently she curated the Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank Center. The festival features various performances by Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon, Patrick Wolfe, Boy George, Patti Smith, Peaches, Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull , Savages, and closes the festival with her song "Walking on Thin Ice" with Siouxsie.
When asked about her new album, she said, "My new album comes at a very special time for me. I'm so happy that it's being released after all the incredible shows that made up Meltdown."
"The energy I have right now, and the desire to continue to make as much great work as I can, is really moving me forwards all the time. This album is the culmination of a lot of ideas I've been having over the last few years and I feel proud to release it at such an exciting time of my life".
When asked if she have any plans of retiring , she said, "I don't think I'm there yet. Society tells you that when you're old you have to retire. You have to defy that. Please know that being 80 is not a scary thing. When you're 80, your life is much freer.
"I have energy. I walk a lot but also I work all the time. We don't live by just sleeping and eating. We need pride and dignity in our lives. Work gives you that. Art is like breathing for me. If I don't do it, I start to choke."
Dubbed by her late husband John Lennon, Yoko Ono is "the world's most famous known artist" and her new album is something that fans can watch out for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones