Chennai Express Trailer
Shah Rukh and Deepika Padukone In 'Chennai Express'
"Chennai Express" helmed by director Rohit Shetty will finish its fourth week of theatrical run at the box office on Thursday and will take the lifetime collection record to over ₹224 crore.
In its 28-day run, including paid previews, the film has made a business of about ₹223.81 crore. "#ChennaiExpress [Week 4] Fri 81 lacs, Sat 1.14 cr, Sun 1.89 cr, Mon 56 lacs, Tue 51 lacs, Wed 48 lacs. Grand total: ₹223.81 cr," trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh tweeted.
The first two weeks of the film were fantastic. The film which is a mixture of romance, comedy and action has shattered many records at the box office and became the biggest earner film in the history of Indian cinema.
However, its collections dropped in third week due to the release of "Madras Cafe" and subsequently in the fourth week after Satyagraha" hit screens. Still the Shah Rukh Khan-Deepika Padukone starrer managed to take its collections to a different level and set a new target at the box office.
To cross the ₹250 crore mark, "Chennai Express" requires more ₹26 crore, which is not easy as its theatrical run has almost stopped in Indian markets. If the film continues to run in some theaters, it would earn around ₹1 to ₹2 crore, which will take the total collections to ₹226 or ₹227 crore.
Despite not making it to the mark, the comedy entertainer has already set a new benchmark for other films.
Here is a look at records created by "Chennai Express" in India:
1. It grossed ₹6.75 crore from paid previews, which is the highest till now.
2. It had the highest first day earning with ₹33.12 crore, beating Salman's "Ek Tha Tiger" record.
3. "CE" also holds the record for biggest second-day collection with ₹28.05 crore.
4. "CE" became the fastest film to cross ₹100 crore mark at domestic box offices.
5. It had the highest first week collection by earning more than ₹156 crore.
6. It became the fastest film to cross ₹200 crore mark in India.
7. "CE" became the biggest grosser film ever in India, breaking "3 Idiots" lifetime collection record.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Meet the Aussie “Belieber” Who Survived Car Accident When Kept Conscious by A Friend Talking About Justin Bieber [PHOTOS/VIDEO]
- Top 10 Highest-Paid Tennis Athletes as Ranked by Forbes: Roger Federer, Maria Sharapova, Novak Djokovic and More
- "The Great Gatsby" vs. "The Rocket" at AACTA Awards 2014: What You Should Know About Top Feature Films Leading Aussie Oscars Nominations [PHOTOS/VIDEOS]