Asaram Bapu's Journey from Coal Seller, Tongawala to Controversial Spiritual Leader
By Debasree Purkayastha | September 5, 2013 5:22 PM EST
Asaram Bapu, the self-styled godman who was recently charged in a rape case, worked as a tonga-puller for two years in Ajmer, before launching himself as a spiritual guru in the late 1960s.
According to The Times of India,the 65-year-old was popular even then for his cushion seats in his tonga, when most of the other carts had only wooden boards.
Born in 17 April, 1941, in the Berani village of Pakistan's Sindh region, Asaram came to India in 1947 during the partition with his father Thaumal Harpalani and mother Mehangibai. Harpalani ran a coal and wood business and Asaram often helped him sell the goods.
Through his mother, Asaram learnt meditation and spirituality before establishing himself as a spiritual leader.
With help from certain powerful friends, Asaram managed to get 10 acres of agricultural land in Gujarat to build his dynasty and then went on to establish about 400 ashrams across the country.
He established a centre in Motera, 35 kilometres away from Ahmadabad, Gujarat, earning himself a name in the state. He gained nationwide attention with his controversial remark on the 2012 Delhi gang-rape case. His remark "galati ek taraf se nahin hoti hai," indicating that the victim was also responsible for the crime, gained widespread criticism.
Asaram has a number of criminal charges filed against him since July 2008. He came under the police scanner that year after two 10-year-old boys were found dead at his Motera ashram.
This was followed by several criminal allegations against him involving murders, land encroachment and other such cases.
The self-proclaimed religious preacher was finally arrested by Rajasthan police on 31 August in connection with the recent rape case. The case was filed based on a complaint from a girl who studied at his ashram in Madhya Pradesh's Chhindwara district. A chargesheet was filed against him that stated that the minor was sexually assaulted in the name of exorcism.
In spite of the string of allegations and controversies linked to him, Asaram continues to enjoy a massive fan following.
Soon after the arrest, scores of his devotees staged protests in various parts of the country demanding his release. Trains were stopped abruptly and media personnel who were covering the issue were attacked in the protests.
Unlike other offenders in similar cases, Asaram had the luxury to spend the night at a VIP lounge of an airport.
Since the beginning of his spiritual journey, Asaram been in close contact with powerful personalities and with the expansion of his dynasty he gained support from Opposition leaders like Uma Bharati and Raman Singh. Rajasthan's Chief Minister, Ashok Gehlot and ex-Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje are among some of his admirers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports