Now Flying High in China, How Soon Can Xiaomi Conquer the World and Depose Apple?
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | September 5, 2013 2:30 PM EST
Xiaomi Inc maybe only three years old in business in China, but the fact it has managed to snag Apple's market share, never mind if its products are mostly knock-offs, could be an indication it could also very well conquer the world soon.
Although it has limited resources, Xiaomi managed to capture some of Apple's users that technology consultancy Canalys disclosed the firm during the second quarter sold more phones than Apple in China, ultimately capturing the No. 6 spot, while Apple settled at No. 7.
"What they really excel at is understanding the user behavior of Chinese consumers," Nicole Peng, China research director at Canalys, was quoted by CNN Money. Ms Peng noted consumers are encouraged to communicate with Xiaomi engineers, and vice versa. The feedback mechanism seems to work well because Xiaomi updates weekly its Android operating system.
"Consumers feel they have the capability to contribute. That works very, very well in China."
The Chinese are known for being tight-fisted and it is no wonder that knock-offs such as Xiaomi's products sell well in the country.
Such as in the case of its low-cost smartphone called "red rice," its very latest offering, which the Chinese telecom firm boasted the first batch of 100,000 units sold in just within 90 seconds.
Its price was a measly $130 per unit.
And then Xiaomi shocked the world when it announced in late August that it had managed to snag Hugo Barra, Google's vice president, who will go onboard the Chinese firm effective October. It doesn't take much of one's imagination to work that Xiaomi will very soon enter the global telecom smartphone market arena.
"The relationship is going to be pretty powerful for both of them, and obviously globally, in terms of helping Xiaomi to establish itself internationally," Rachel Lashford, vice president of Canalys, had said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS