Kate Middleton’s Lupo Lookalike Dognapped from Toddler
By Hannah Osborne | September 5, 2013 12:10 AM EST
A lookalike of Kate Middleton's cocker spaniel Lupo has been stolen from its Surrey home.
Fern, a one-year-old puppy, was taken from the Ferrier family farm while playing outside with their other dogs, mongrel Megan, springer spaniel Cilla and collie Trio.
Jodie Ferrier, 31, said she believes a dog breeder spotted Fern and stole her to produce Lupo-looking puppies.
Since the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge got their pet dog in Christmas 2011, the number of cocker spaniel thefts has rocketed, with demand for the breed outweighing supply.
The price of cocker spaniels has also gone up, with each puppy selling for up to £1,000. The average litter size is around five, and the gestation period is about two months, so puppy farmers can make around £5,000 on a fairly regular basis from each dog.
Ethan, the couple's three-year-old son, had fallen in love with the dog and is distraught that she has gone. "Fern is Ethan's puppy and he has been completely devastated since she was stolen," Ferrier told the Daily Express.
"He asks me every morning if Fern is coming back home today and I have to tell him I don't know - it's heartbreaking.
"Fern looks almost identical to Lupo and we've spoken the endless dog charities and police who tell us the same story - that demand for cocker spaniels is outstripping supply because of the popularity of Lupo.
"We want to make people aware of this problem, because it is getting worse ... We just want Fern back at home, and hopefully someone will come forward and she'll be back with us soon." ."
Surrey Police confirmed it was investigating the theft, while John Hockley, a rural communities officer, said dog theft was an "extremely emotive crime that impacts whole families".
Lupo has been blamed for the rise in cocker spaniel thefts in the past. In February, Lyn Randall, field trial secretary at the Cocker Spaniel Club, said: "The fact that Wills and Kate have a cocker did make a difference. Last year there was a surge in numbers, possibly for the wrong reasons.
"A lot more are being stolen now too and partly that is due to their rise in popularity, they do seem to be stolen to order."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- ISIS Crucifies Teenage Boy For Filming Syrian Base; Image Of Baby Girl Being Beheaded Found [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Planning Christmas With Her Family In Anmer Hall, Norfolk--Report
- How Australian Father Stabbed 11-Year-Old Son Dead, More Details Emerge
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored