Senior XDA member, k2wl has released experimental overclock kernel for the Galaxy Grand. Besides, the member has shared an easy guide to install the overclock kernel on the device. It should be noted the overclock kernel is for the devices running on stock firmware only.
Guide to overclock the Galaxy Grand DUOS.
Galaxy Grand DUOS users, who wish to increase the clock speed of their devices, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy Grand DUOS to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The battery of the Galaxy Grand should have above 80% charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod recovery installed. Click here for our guide to root Galaxy Grand DUOS and install CWM Recovery.
7) The tutorial and the files work only on Samsung Galaxy Grand DUOS GT-I9082. As applying these to any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy Grand by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Create a backup
Users can also backup the phone's data via Quick Boot app.
1) Head over to Google Play, download and install Quick Boot app on the phone.
2) Launch the app from the App Drawer
3) Click on Recovery option to reboot the device into Recovery Mode
4) In Recovery mode, select backup and restore then select backup
5) Create a backup of all file system and save it on the phone.
Steps to flash the overclock kernel on Galaxy Grand DUOS GT-I9082
Step-1: Download overclock experimental kernel for Galaxy Grand DUOS to computer from the development thread [Alternative link]
Step-2: Download Odin3 v1.85. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v1.85.exe file along with some other files
Step-3: Download Fastboot. Extract the downloaded zip
Step-4: Connect the phone to the computer using the USB cable. Wait until Odin detects the device. When it is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin's message box. Additionally, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with COM port number indicating successful connection.
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognsie the device then re-install USB Driver.
Step-5: Open a Command Prompt Window on the computer [To do so, hold the Shift button and right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose Open command window here.]
Step-6: Type the following command into the Command Prompt Window
adb reboot download
Step-7: The device should now reboot into Download Mode
Step-8: Close the Command Prompt Window
Step-9: Run Odin3 v1.85.exe as Administrator
Step-10: Click the PDA button and select the overclock kernel file
Step-11: Verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time check boxes are selected in Odin. But uncheck the Re-Partition option
Step-12: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-13: The installation process should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-14: Once the installation process is completed, reboot the phone
Steps to overclock Galaxy Grand DUOS GT-I9082
Step-1: Download and install any of these two apps on the phone
SetCPU or No-frills CPU Control
Step-2: Open the app from App Drawer
Step-3: Drag the slider or use the available option to increase CPU clock speed
Step-4: Make sure not to choose save on boot option in the app as it may crash the device
Step-5: When the device becomes comfortable at a specific clock speed, close the app
With all the instructions followed strictly, the Galaxy Grand DUOS should now be overclocked as desired. Those who wish to return to stock kernel may follow the guide.
Steps to revert back to stock kernel
Step-1: Launch the Quick Boot app from the App Drawer
Step-2: Click the Recovery option to reboot the phone into Recovery Mode
Step-3: In recovery mode, select backup and restore then select restore
Step-4: Choose the recent backup to restore the device. This will begin restoring the backup on the device. The process will take some time
Step-5: Once the backup has been restored, reboot the phone
When the Galaxy Grand DUOS boots up, it should be running on stock kernel.
Also read:How to root Xperia Z1 on Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
[Source: The Unlockr]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: