Sony Xperia Z boasts HD display resolution, quad-core processors and the ability to swim with you in the pool. It is a solid and powerful smartphone, however, some complaints have been reported on the device - so here the do-it-yourself solutions to solve them.
1. Wi-Fi Won't Connect or Disconnect All the Time
Many owners of the Sony Xperia Z are complaining about the weak Wi-Fi signal of the device and some of these complainants are having trouble connecting to specific routers. In worst cases, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity can cause issues when both turned on at the same time.
Causes: One possible cause is the built-in power saving feature called the STAMINA mode which stops auto-syncing and Internet connectivity when the display is turned off. To determine signal strength, download and install the Wi-Fi Analyzer app from the Play Store.
1. Turn off the Bluetooth connection.
2. Turn off the STAMINA mode. The STAMINA mode is not active by default and you can check it by going to Settings > Power Management > STAMINA mode.
1. Restart the router and the smartphone.
2. Make sure that the username and password are correct.
3. Update the Xperia Z if there is an available upgrade/check the router's manufacturer Web site or your Internet Service Provider.
4. Change the channel on your router with DHCP active.
5. Turn any MAC filter off on both the router and phone.
6. Use the Sony PC Companion to update or repair the phone by following instructions provided. Support Zone > Start > Phone Software Update.
2. Sudden Death Syndrome
Sudden death bug is also included in reports and was quickly dubbed as "sleep of death." Primary symptom won't wake up once sent to sleep.
Solution 1: Perform a hard reset to wake up the device. Press the volume up and power button do force the hard reset.
Solution 2: Hard resetting it may not fix the problem and only the released update from Sony can solve the sleep of death illness.
3. LED Notifications Malfunctioned
Notification LED light on the Xperia Z notifies you of any new email or messages but there are some users complained about a malfunction - no lights coming out.
Causes: Various reasons may have caused the problem but it may be related to backup problem or STAMINA mode itself.
Solution: For users who created a backup inside the built-in backup creator of the Xperia Z, go to Settings > Backup & reset > uncheck Backup my data > Factory data reset. This option will reset the device into its factory settings and you should not restore any data via backup. Install apps manually instead.
4. Sony Xperia Z on Fire!
Sony Xperia Z is water-resistant but not fireproof and some owners have reported overheating problems about the device.
Causes: Hardware components and intensive activity causes a smartphone to boil.
1. Give it a break for once to cool down. The Xperia Z does not have any internal cooling fans like computers.
2. Remove the back cover and case to let the heat escape.
3. Never ever let it swim in cold water or tap water which may break the glass. Xperia Z is not invulnerable so treat it with care.
5. Low Battery Life
Battery life as usual is included to the complaints against Xperia Z.
Causes: Bug issue on the battery life displayed on the screen.
Solution 1: Check first what is eating the battery on your device. Go to Settings > Battery.
Solution 2: Try following tips and guides for improving the battery life of any smartphone.
Solution 3: Turn on the battery saving modes on your device. Go to Settings > Power Management > Choose the battery modes you want. It is recommended to turn on STAMINA mode all the time but be aware that some issues are encountered with it. Update the device first.
6. MicroSD not Working
Reports of accessing the microSD on Xperia Z have been found and sometimes, a message like "memory has been removed unexpectedly" appears, leading to errors and card corruption.
Causes: Card corruption varies from SD card type and there is no single agreement what might have caused the issue.
Solution 1: Try a different microSD card brand from the one suffering a problem.
Solution 2: Format the SD card on the phone itself.
Solution 3: If the microSD card is unreadable on the phone or computer, try the SD formatter if you can revive it. Sony is still investigating on the problem and there may be a chance for an update to fix it.
7. Music Pauses or Stutters
Music is supposed to play smoothly, not to pause unintentionally or stutter.
Causes: There are many reasons which may cause the problem. Bluetooth connection over music streaming on headphones or speaker or microSD card read/write speed are just some possible reasons.
Solution 1: Turn off the Wi-Fi when you are streaming music via Bluetooth.
Solution 2: Move the music files to the internal memory or change the SD card you are using with better speed. Slow SD cards can cause the problem.
8. Rebooting All the Time
Random reboots or looping boot up are headaches which render users unable to use the phone.
1. Hold down the volume up and power buttons for ten seconds till it vibrate three times.
2. Make sure that the phone is fully charged.
3. Use the repair phone on the Sony PC Companion. Support Zone > Start > Phone Software Update > Start. Choose the repair phone if the device is already running the latest firmware.
To contact the editor, e-mail: