Hope Glimmers for Economy as China’s Manufacturing Stabilises and Syria Strike is Delayed
By Sunny Peter | September 3, 2013 2:28 PM EST
Reports of a strong manufacturing sector emanating from China lifted market spirits and held out some hope for the Australian and New Zealand currency on Monday. China is a key export market for both Australia and New Zealand which has helped sustain both the economies in recent times of turmoil. Along with the upbeat news from China was U.S. President Barack Obama's decision to seek congressional approval for possible action against Syria. It faded worries about the looming military action against the Assad regime and helped sustain riskier assets.
Showing signs of some revival, the final Chinese HSBC/Markit Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) climbed up to 50.1 last month, rising up from July's 47.7. Reuters said, this showed the first signs of expansion in the last four months.
Earlier the official manufacturing PMI had suggested that factory activity, in August, grew at its fastest pace in more than a year. Experts believe these are signs of economic stabilisation in China.
The Australian dollar got further spur as national data showed that building approval has grown 10.8% in July. This was more than twice the increase forecasted. August saw home prices in Australia increase for the third straight month.
Both the good news - of Chinese economic stabilisation and burgeoning building approvals - enabled the Australian dollar to find some movement upwards.
However, it needs to be seen how long China's factory sector will continue to show signs of Monday's growth. Importantly, other Asian economies continue to reel under the impact of recent selloff in emerging-market assets.
The Wall Street Journal, on Monday said that, investors anticipating higher U.S. interest rates lead to the reversal of capital flows from emerging markets, which in turn, hammered the economies of nations like India and Indonesia that rely heavily on foreign investment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Family Of Ebola Nurse Patient Hires Lawyer To Clear Things Up, Refutes CDC Claims; Agency Revises Guidelines
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu