Hope Glimmers for Economy as China’s Manufacturing Stabilises and Syria Strike is Delayed
By Sunny Peter | September 3, 2013 2:28 PM EST
Reports of a strong manufacturing sector emanating from China lifted market spirits and held out some hope for the Australian and New Zealand currency on Monday. China is a key export market for both Australia and New Zealand which has helped sustain both the economies in recent times of turmoil. Along with the upbeat news from China was U.S. President Barack Obama's decision to seek congressional approval for possible action against Syria. It faded worries about the looming military action against the Assad regime and helped sustain riskier assets.
Showing signs of some revival, the final Chinese HSBC/Markit Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) climbed up to 50.1 last month, rising up from July's 47.7. Reuters said, this showed the first signs of expansion in the last four months.
Earlier the official manufacturing PMI had suggested that factory activity, in August, grew at its fastest pace in more than a year. Experts believe these are signs of economic stabilisation in China.
The Australian dollar got further spur as national data showed that building approval has grown 10.8% in July. This was more than twice the increase forecasted. August saw home prices in Australia increase for the third straight month.
Both the good news - of Chinese economic stabilisation and burgeoning building approvals - enabled the Australian dollar to find some movement upwards.
However, it needs to be seen how long China's factory sector will continue to show signs of Monday's growth. Importantly, other Asian economies continue to reel under the impact of recent selloff in emerging-market assets.
The Wall Street Journal, on Monday said that, investors anticipating higher U.S. interest rates lead to the reversal of capital flows from emerging markets, which in turn, hammered the economies of nations like India and Indonesia that rely heavily on foreign investment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions