French Lesbian Film Blue Is The Warmest Colour Eyes 2 Major Oscar Categories Aside from Best Foreign Film (TRAILER)
By Ria Kristina Torrente | September 3, 2013 1:30 AM EST
2013 Cannes Palme d'Or winner Blue Is The Warmest Colour might not be able to qualify for the 2014 Oscar as its French distributor decided not to release the film for commercial viewing until October in France. According to the Academy's rule, a film contending for the best foreign language film must be released in its home country. It should be shown in France on or before Sept 30 for it to become eligible.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the president of Sundance Selects/ IFC Films Jonathan Sehring would still campaign for the film to enter the Oscar in other categories.
"We still believe that it can be a strong contender in the best actress and best supporting actress races," he said. Sundance Selects acquired the rights of the film for its U.S. release, which is slated to hit theaters on Oct 25.
Also known as Adele: Chapters 1 & 2, Blue Is The Warmest Colour tells the story of Adele, an awkward 15-year-old girl who dreams of becoming a teacher. Her life changes when she meets Emma, a blue-haired art student who falls for her, and the two engages in a romantic/sexual relationship.
The 187-minute lesbian film is directed by Abdellatif Kechiche and stars Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux. Blue Is The Warmest Colour is based on a French graphic novel, which will be published in North America in October 2013.
Although the distributors are hopeful that the film will enter the Oscar best actress and best supporting actress categories, some conservative members of the Academy may find the graphic sex scenes too much, which may affect its votes.
Meanwhile, it's Australian release date has yet to be confirmed. See the trailer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family