French Lesbian Film Blue Is The Warmest Colour Eyes 2 Major Oscar Categories Aside from Best Foreign Film (TRAILER)
By Ria Kristina Torrente | September 3, 2013 1:30 AM EST
2013 Cannes Palme d'Or winner Blue Is The Warmest Colour might not be able to qualify for the 2014 Oscar as its French distributor decided not to release the film for commercial viewing until October in France. According to the Academy's rule, a film contending for the best foreign language film must be released in its home country. It should be shown in France on or before Sept 30 for it to become eligible.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the president of Sundance Selects/ IFC Films Jonathan Sehring would still campaign for the film to enter the Oscar in other categories.
"We still believe that it can be a strong contender in the best actress and best supporting actress races," he said. Sundance Selects acquired the rights of the film for its U.S. release, which is slated to hit theaters on Oct 25.
Also known as Adele: Chapters 1 & 2, Blue Is The Warmest Colour tells the story of Adele, an awkward 15-year-old girl who dreams of becoming a teacher. Her life changes when she meets Emma, a blue-haired art student who falls for her, and the two engages in a romantic/sexual relationship.
The 187-minute lesbian film is directed by Abdellatif Kechiche and stars Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux. Blue Is The Warmest Colour is based on a French graphic novel, which will be published in North America in October 2013.
Although the distributors are hopeful that the film will enter the Oscar best actress and best supporting actress categories, some conservative members of the Academy may find the graphic sex scenes too much, which may affect its votes.
Meanwhile, it's Australian release date has yet to be confirmed. See the trailer below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier