The official Android 4.2.2 software update has recently been released for the non-NFC variant of Galaxy S2 Plus with model number GT-I9105, which runs Android 4.1.2 out of box. The latest Jelly Bean, with build version XXUBMH4, is available for users in Russia and is expected to reach other regions soon. Users can install the official build as OTA update and through the Samsung Kies server.
Build date: 21 August, 2013
Click here for our guide to install XXUBMH4 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 Plus I9105.
Those who have already installed the firmware and are looking for a root method may follow our guide. Along with rooting, the tutorial helps installs ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery on the phone. The guide uses CWM touch recovery file released by senior XDA member OurJerry and SuperSU file, by recognised XDa developer, to root the device.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Users are advised to verify that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect the Android device with the computer and use the Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option then check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the Galaxy device, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then backup the data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose its manufacturer's warranty once it is rooted but users can reclaim the warranty by unrooting the device later.
7) The root file and the CWM touch recovery file works only with Samsung Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105. As applying this to any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy S2 Plus by selecting Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install CWM Recovery on Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105
Stesp-1: Download CWM Recovery for Galaxy S2 Plus to computer
File name: Jerry_recovery.tar.md5 [Alternative link]
Step-2: Download Odin v3.07. Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe file within it
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S2 and wait for some time for the vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-4: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on the phone's screen. Press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode
Step-5: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as Administrator
Step-6: Connect the phone to your computer using the USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device then re-install USB driver.
Step-7: In Odin, click the PDA button and select Jerry_recovery.tar.md5 file
Note: If md5 hash value failed error occurs while flashing the recovery file, then remove the extension md5 from the file and flash it again.
Step-8: Verify the Re-Partition and F.Reset Time checkboxes not are selected in Odin. But uncheck the Auto-Reboot option
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation process
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Also, a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the top of Odin, indicating successful installation. Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
Steps to root Galaxy S2 Plus GT-I9105 with SuperSU
Step-1: Download SuperUser root package for Galaxy S2 Plus
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip
Step-2: Connect the phone to the computer using USB cable. Then copy the downloaded SuperSU file to internal SD card of the phone
Step-3: Power off the phone. Place it in CWM recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume keys to scroll between options and the Power button to select the desired option.
Step-4: In recovery mode, select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.51.zip, copied to the internal storage of the phone. Select it and confirm installation
Step-5: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now
The Galaxy S2 Plus running on XXUBMH4 Android 4.2.2 should now be rooted with CWM recovery installed on the phone. Users can now install any app that requires root permission. To verify root status of the phone, install Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Also read: Install XXUEMJ3 Android 4.3 Final Test Build on Galaxy S4 I9505
[Source: Honai of Android]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: