Desperate New Zealanders Eat Dog Food, Live in Cars in Australia
By Reissa Su | September 2, 2013 2:51 PM EST
Unlike Australians living in New Zealand, Kiwis who moved to Australia will not be entitled to government assistance like unemployment and sickness benefits. Some New Zealanders were finding it difficult to make ends meet, according to an Oz Kiwi organisation in Queensland that pushes for Kiwi equal rights in Australia.
Oz Kiwi spokesperson Filipa Payne said that poor New Zealanders resorted to eating dog food and living in cars since they can no longer afford to pay for their homes. Some children don't bring lunches to school while others attend classes without shoes.
Ms Payne said the poverty line for Kiwis is the lowest in Australia and not like everyone else. In desperation, some Kiwis have sought the help of Vicky Rose who manages the Nerang Neighborhood Centre.
Ms Rose said she has already seen Kiwis living in Australia for more than six years and yet still struggle daily.
Greg Rudd, a senator and the brother of Australian Prime Minister Kevin Tudd, had earlier said Kiwis should be given government assistance. He said New Zealanders should be treated equally. Senator Rudd called Australians "ungrateful bastards" over laws that prevent New Zealanders from being citizens of Australia.
Mr Rudd had said earlier in Aug. 2013 that laws denying New Zealand expats access to disability care and social security payments were "draconian".
New Zealanders who had moved to Australia after 2001 had no voting rights and access to citizenship and benefits in case of unemployment and sickness. Kiwis also don't have single parent benefits and loans.
In New Zealand, Australians who are living in the country have access to the benefits not available to Kiwis in Australia. Some may wait for two years. This is better compared to no access at all.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Kim Dotcom Banks on 5% Youth Vote in New Zealand September Election
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World