Desperate New Zealanders Eat Dog Food, Live in Cars in Australia
By Reissa Su | September 2, 2013 2:51 PM EST
Unlike Australians living in New Zealand, Kiwis who moved to Australia will not be entitled to government assistance like unemployment and sickness benefits. Some New Zealanders were finding it difficult to make ends meet, according to an Oz Kiwi organisation in Queensland that pushes for Kiwi equal rights in Australia.
Oz Kiwi spokesperson Filipa Payne said that poor New Zealanders resorted to eating dog food and living in cars since they can no longer afford to pay for their homes. Some children don't bring lunches to school while others attend classes without shoes.
Ms Payne said the poverty line for Kiwis is the lowest in Australia and not like everyone else. In desperation, some Kiwis have sought the help of Vicky Rose who manages the Nerang Neighborhood Centre.
Ms Rose said she has already seen Kiwis living in Australia for more than six years and yet still struggle daily.
Greg Rudd, a senator and the brother of Australian Prime Minister Kevin Tudd, had earlier said Kiwis should be given government assistance. He said New Zealanders should be treated equally. Senator Rudd called Australians "ungrateful bastards" over laws that prevent New Zealanders from being citizens of Australia.
Mr Rudd had said earlier in Aug. 2013 that laws denying New Zealand expats access to disability care and social security payments were "draconian".
New Zealanders who had moved to Australia after 2001 had no voting rights and access to citizenship and benefits in case of unemployment and sickness. Kiwis also don't have single parent benefits and loans.
In New Zealand, Australians who are living in the country have access to the benefits not available to Kiwis in Australia. Some may wait for two years. This is better compared to no access at all.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date