New Zealand Fashion Week 2013: Opening Ceremony and Featured Designers
By Reissa Su | September 2, 2013 1:51 PM EST
The New Zealand Fashion Week biggest fashion event in New Zealand will kick off Monday night, Sept 2, with a VIP ceremony in Auckland's Viaduct Events Centre. Over 50 Kiwi and international designers will be showcasing their best autumn/winter 2014 collections on the catwalk during for the rest of the week. The New Zealand Fashion Week is now celebrating its 13th year.
Dame Pieter Stewart, founder of New Zealand Fashion Week, said the collection of designers for this year's event will be the best yet. Some of the biggest names in New Zealand's fashion industry such as Trelise Cooper and Zambesi will be showing off their stylish and trendy wares alongside other edgier and smaller fashion labels.
New Zealand Fashion Week still remains a huge commercial platform for the Kiwi fashion industry. Popular fashion labels like the Stolen Girlfriends Club and Twenty-Seven Names are expected to be back for this year's biggest fashion event to feature their upcoming collections to be held at the Auckland venue on Sept 3 and 4.
Wairarapa fashion label, My Boyfriend's Back, will be appearing for the first time at the New Zealand Fashion Week. A trio of designers from Wellington, featuring Mardle, Millicent and Love Hotel labels will also make their debut.
Grace Lee and Mia Brennan, both indigenous Australian designers, will also be featured together with seven of New Zealand's Maori designers in a Miromoda show on Sept 6.
Marissa Findlay, who has also helped produce fashion shows for Zambesi in the last 14 years, will make sure the New Zealand Fashion Week shows will have an element of mystery and surprise to capture the audience.
Of course any big event will always have criticisms, one of which has been always the lack of income generated by the New Zealand Fashion Week. However, many fashion designers said sales were not simply due to a cause-and-effect equation. Designers said that by the time buyers order place an advance order for upcoming winter collections, months have already passed since the Fashion Week event.
New Zealand Fashion Week may attract a buyer to purchase a designer's collection but other factors can contribute to buying behaviour. Designers who participate in fashion events believe they are opportunities to build their brand with media coverage.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Justin Bieber Diss to Selena Gomez on Her Birthday, Posts Another Model's Pic
- Kendall Jenner Nude and Topless for Magazine Cover, Harry Styles Ex is Crazy About Modelling
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Selena Gomez Hangs Out with Taylor Swift's BFF, Cara Delevingne
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June