Melbourne Tops The Economist’s List of Best Cities to Live In; Australia, Canada Dominate Top 10 Positions, Damascus in Bottom 10 (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 2, 2013 9:50 AM EST
For the third consecutive year, the Australian city of Melbourne topped The Economist Intelligence Unit Survey's of the best cities to live in. The list is based on a review of 140 cities.
Besides Melbourne, other Australian and Canadian cities dominated the top 10 list, while on the opposite end, the bottom 10 was led by conflict-ridden Damascus in Syria.
Melbourne, the capital of the Australian state of Victoria, topped the list because it got perfect scores in health care, education and infrastructure.
Other Australian cities in the top 10 are Adelaide (5th place), Sydney (7th) and Perth (9th). Rounding up the top 10 are Vienna, Austria (2nd); Vancouver, Canada (3rd); Toronto, Canada (4th); Helsinki, Finland (8th); and Auckland, New Zealand (10th).
On the other hand, the bottom 10 has Tehran, Iran (139th); Douala, Cameroon (138th); Tripoli, Libya (137th); Karachi, Pakistan (136th); Algiers, Algeria (135th); Harare, Zimbabwe (134th); Lagos, Nigeria (133rd); Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (132nd) and Dhaka, Bangladesh (131st).
Save for Vienna and Helsinki, there were no other European cities in the top 10, even London failed to make it. There were also no cities from the United States.
The rankings were based on a 100 perfect score on the categories crime rates and civil unrest, quality of healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal