Melbourne Tops The Economist’s List of Best Cities to Live In; Australia, Canada Dominate Top 10 Positions, Damascus in Bottom 10 (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 2, 2013 9:50 AM EST
For the third consecutive year, the Australian city of Melbourne topped The Economist Intelligence Unit Survey's of the best cities to live in. The list is based on a review of 140 cities.
Besides Melbourne, other Australian and Canadian cities dominated the top 10 list, while on the opposite end, the bottom 10 was led by conflict-ridden Damascus in Syria.
Melbourne, the capital of the Australian state of Victoria, topped the list because it got perfect scores in health care, education and infrastructure.
Other Australian cities in the top 10 are Adelaide (5th place), Sydney (7th) and Perth (9th). Rounding up the top 10 are Vienna, Austria (2nd); Vancouver, Canada (3rd); Toronto, Canada (4th); Helsinki, Finland (8th); and Auckland, New Zealand (10th).
On the other hand, the bottom 10 has Tehran, Iran (139th); Douala, Cameroon (138th); Tripoli, Libya (137th); Karachi, Pakistan (136th); Algiers, Algeria (135th); Harare, Zimbabwe (134th); Lagos, Nigeria (133rd); Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (132nd) and Dhaka, Bangladesh (131st).
Save for Vienna and Helsinki, there were no other European cities in the top 10, even London failed to make it. There were also no cities from the United States.
The rankings were based on a 100 perfect score on the categories crime rates and civil unrest, quality of healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks