Melbourne Tops The Economist’s List of Best Cities to Live In; Australia, Canada Dominate Top 10 Positions, Damascus in Bottom 10 (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 2, 2013 9:50 AM EST
For the third consecutive year, the Australian city of Melbourne topped The Economist Intelligence Unit Survey's of the best cities to live in. The list is based on a review of 140 cities.
Besides Melbourne, other Australian and Canadian cities dominated the top 10 list, while on the opposite end, the bottom 10 was led by conflict-ridden Damascus in Syria.
Melbourne, the capital of the Australian state of Victoria, topped the list because it got perfect scores in health care, education and infrastructure.
Other Australian cities in the top 10 are Adelaide (5th place), Sydney (7th) and Perth (9th). Rounding up the top 10 are Vienna, Austria (2nd); Vancouver, Canada (3rd); Toronto, Canada (4th); Helsinki, Finland (8th); and Auckland, New Zealand (10th).
On the other hand, the bottom 10 has Tehran, Iran (139th); Douala, Cameroon (138th); Tripoli, Libya (137th); Karachi, Pakistan (136th); Algiers, Algeria (135th); Harare, Zimbabwe (134th); Lagos, Nigeria (133rd); Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (132nd) and Dhaka, Bangladesh (131st).
Save for Vienna and Helsinki, there were no other European cities in the top 10, even London failed to make it. There were also no cities from the United States.
The rankings were based on a 100 perfect score on the categories crime rates and civil unrest, quality of healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage