Melbourne Tops The Economist’s List of Best Cities to Live In; Australia, Canada Dominate Top 10 Positions, Damascus in Bottom 10 (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | September 2, 2013 9:50 AM EST
For the third consecutive year, the Australian city of Melbourne topped The Economist Intelligence Unit Survey's of the best cities to live in. The list is based on a review of 140 cities.
Besides Melbourne, other Australian and Canadian cities dominated the top 10 list, while on the opposite end, the bottom 10 was led by conflict-ridden Damascus in Syria.
Melbourne, the capital of the Australian state of Victoria, topped the list because it got perfect scores in health care, education and infrastructure.
Other Australian cities in the top 10 are Adelaide (5th place), Sydney (7th) and Perth (9th). Rounding up the top 10 are Vienna, Austria (2nd); Vancouver, Canada (3rd); Toronto, Canada (4th); Helsinki, Finland (8th); and Auckland, New Zealand (10th).
On the other hand, the bottom 10 has Tehran, Iran (139th); Douala, Cameroon (138th); Tripoli, Libya (137th); Karachi, Pakistan (136th); Algiers, Algeria (135th); Harare, Zimbabwe (134th); Lagos, Nigeria (133rd); Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (132nd) and Dhaka, Bangladesh (131st).
Save for Vienna and Helsinki, there were no other European cities in the top 10, even London failed to make it. There were also no cities from the United States.
The rankings were based on a 100 perfect score on the categories crime rates and civil unrest, quality of healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How