Galaxy Note 10.1 (LTE) N8020 gets Android
4.1.2 XXBMF1 official firmware
Samsung recently rolled out its latest Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware for Vodafone users of Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE (N8020) in Germany. The OTA update is also available for download via Samsung KIES in select European countries including Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom.
The N8020XXBMF1 Jelly Bean firmware is mainly a bug-fix and maintenance update for Galaxy Note 10.1 (LTE) to enhance its overall system performance and stability. Installation of the firmware uses ODIN flash tool and hence there is no need for custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) to be pre-installed.
Android 4.1.2 N8020XXBMF1 OTA Firmware Details
Date: August, 2013
Regions Supported: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any device damage during or after firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The N8020XXBMF1 official firmware and instructions provided are limited to Galaxy Note 10.1 (LTE) N8020 model. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Tablet.
- Back up data and settings using recommended custom recovery tool such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as data wiping process is mandatory in this tutorial.
- Download and install correct USB drivers for Galaxy Note 10.1 on computer.
- Ensure USB debugging mode is enabled on tablet by navigating to Settings > Applications > Development or Settings > Developer Options.
- Double-check the device has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing ROM.
- If device is stuck at booting or experiences boot loop issues, Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before rebooting.
- Allow newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes before using device.
- If a Status 7 error message flashes while installing firmware, it could be due to an incompatible device or absence of a necessary kernel (for instance, a Jelly Bean Kernel must be installed before installing any Jelly Bean ROM).
How to Manually Update Galaxy Note 10.1 (LTE) N8020 to Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Official Firmware via Odin
Step 1: Download Android 4.1.2 N8020XXBMF1 Jelly Bean OTA for Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE and Odin v3.07 on your computer.
Step 2: Extract the firmware zip file to the desktop to obtain a .tar.md5 file.
Step 3: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe as well as few other files.
Step 4: Power off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5-6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown. Then boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe that you extracted in Step 3 as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the installation process smoothly.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy Note 10.1 to the computer via USB cable, while the device is still in Download mode. When the device connects successfully, a message saying "Added!" appears in ODIN and the ID: COM box will turn yellow or blue with the corresponding COM port number. If the message fails to appear, try reinstalling the tablet's USB drivers or changing the port on computer.
Step 6: Choose the following files from the extracted N8020XXBMF1 firmware folder obtained in Step 1 by using respective checkboxes:
- Select the PDA checkbox, and click the '.tar.md5' file
Step 7: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting the checkboxes. But the Re-Partition checkbox must not be selected.
Step 8: To prevent ROM related errors, verify Step 6 and Step 7 are done correctly. Then hit START button to begin flashing firmware.
Step 9: Once the firmware installation is complete, the tablet will reboot automatically and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Wait until the home screen loads up. Now it is safe to unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 is now running on the latest Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 official firmware. Go to Settings > About Tablet to verify the firmware installed.
Now that you have installed the official Jelly Bean firmware on your device, it is imperative to root the tablet again to regain full system access and be able to install third-party root apps, custom ROMs and the latest system tweaks. Check out our step-by-step guide below to root Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 on the newly installed Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 official firmware.
Downloads for Rooting
How to Root Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 on Official Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean Firmware
1. Extract the downloaded CF-Auto-Root zip file to obtain a .tar.md5 file.
2. Extract Odin zip file to receive Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Place the tablet in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while simultaneously tapping the Power button. When a "Warning!" message appears on screen, hit Volume Down key to progress into Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator as Admin privileges is required to complete the root installation smoothly.
6. Connect the tablet to the computer with USB cable. A message reading "Added!!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear, then try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of your desktop computer). If all else fails then just reinstall the USB drivers for the tablet on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message appears in Odin, proceed to the next step. At this point, the COM port with a number turns Yellow if you successfully added the device.
7. Choose the following file in Odin via the given checkbox:
- Choose the PDA checkbox, and click CF-Auto-Root-p4notelte-p4noteltexx-gtn8020.tar.md5.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options.
9. Double check if Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the flashing process.
10. Once the root flashing completes, the tablet will reboot and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, remove the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Your Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 is now rooted on official Android 4.1.2 XXBMF1 Jelly Bean firmware. Apps requiring root access can now be installed.
[Source: Android Jinn - Install and Root]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: