Jose Mourinho will see Chelsea face Pep Guardiola's Bayern Munich as the Champions League winners take on Europa League champions for the 2013 UEFA Super Cup on Friday evening. The game between the two sides will be held at Prague's Eden Arena in Czech Republic.
Where to Watch Live
Kick-off is set for 7.45pm BST. Live coverage of the game will be available on Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 1 HD and ITV 1.
Bayern sealed a place in the Super Cup after defeating their domestic rivals Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League final in Wembley earlier in May. Mario Mandzukic opened the scoring for the Bundesliga champions before Ilkay Gundogan equalised from the spot for Jurgen Klopp's men.
However, Arjen Robben's 89th minute goal was the difference between Dortmund and Bayern, as the latter lifted their fifth Champions League trophy at Wembley. Since their treble-winning 2012/13 season, there has been a change at Allianz Arena as Jupp Heynckes has been replaced by the former Barcelona manager.
Guardiola failed to win his first silverware with Bayern as they lost the DFB Super Cup 4-2 to Dortmund late last month. Since the loss to their Bundesliga rivals, the German champions have won four of the last five games played in all competitions.
Meanwhile, Chelsea made it to the Super Cup after registering a dramatic 2-1 win over Benfica in the Europa League finals. Fernando Torres gave the English club the lead before Oscar Cardozo equalised nine minutes later.
The game was set to go to extra time before Branislav Ivanovic's header during injury time made sure Rafael Benitez landed his first silverware as Chelsea manager. The Blues were forced to play in the second tier of the European football last season after becoming the first club to hold the Champions League winner's title and to make an exit from the group stages.
The last time Chelsea faced Bayern was in the 2012 Champions League final, where the Blues came out victorious after a penalty shootout.
What the Managers Say
Pep Guardiola: "I have great respect for Mourinho's career. I try to learn from all the coaches in the world, including him. But I will be trying to win the Super Cup, and he will be doing the same so that is it. He is a master of organising counter-attacks and when you lose the ball to his teams, you're dead."
Jose Mourinho: "It's not about me and Pep, it's about Chelsea and Bayern Munich. Pep is not European champion and I'm not Europa League champion. We just coach here now, so it's not about us. Go there and see what happened with Inter, the league of the records in Spain, the King Cup in Spain, the Super Cup in Spain, so you are very wrong. But it's not me against him, its club against club."
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): D W W W W
- Last Result: SC Freiburg 1-1 Bayern Munich
- Last Five (all competitions, most recent first): D W W L W
- Last Result: Manchester United 0 - 0 Chelsea
- Injuries: Thiago Alcantara and Holger Badstuber (knee)
- Doubtful: Bastian Schweinsteiger (ankle), Javi Martinez (abdomen)
- Suspended: N/A
Probable Lineup: Neuer; Lahm, Boateng, Dante, Alaba; Kroos, Gotze; Robben, Muller, Ribery; Mandzukic
- Injuries: David Luiz (hamstring)
- Doubtful: N/A
- Suspended: N/A
Probable Lineup: Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry, Cole; Mikel, Ramires; Hazard, Oscar, Mata; Torres
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Meet the Aussie “Belieber” Who Survived Car Accident When Kept Conscious by A Friend Talking About Justin Bieber [PHOTOS/VIDEO]
- Top 10 Highest-Paid Tennis Athletes as Ranked by Forbes: Roger Federer, Maria Sharapova, Novak Djokovic and More
- "The Great Gatsby" vs. "The Rocket" at AACTA Awards 2014: What You Should Know About Top Feature Films Leading Aussie Oscars Nominations [PHOTOS/VIDEOS]