Paris: French Muslim Girl Jumps off Fourth Floor after Burqa Attack
By Drishya Nair | August 28, 2013 11:51 PM EST
A French Muslim girl tried committing suicide, after she was attacked by two men for wearing a veil. The attack happened earlier this month.
Following the attack by men with a box-cutter, the 16-year-old girl jumped out of the fourth floor window at her home in Trappes, Paris.
French newspaper Le Parisien reported that mystery still surrounds what drove her to such extremes due to the absence of a suicide note. It was believed she also tried unsuccessfully to kill herself last week by overdosing on pills.
The news of the latest attack has come just one month after a Parisian suburb saw hundreds of Muslim protesters clashing with police after they attempted to fine a woman for wearing a full Islamic veil.
A nationwide law forbidding wearing a burqa in public was enacted in 2011. Under the terms of the decree, anyone wearing the head-dress in public would be fined €150 or be forced to take lessons in French citizenship.
However, according to the legislation's guidelines, police are prohibited from asking women to remove their veil in public. They are to be escorted to a police station, where their identities are confirmed.
On 12 August, the girl told police that two "European looking" men approached her near Square Berlioz at around 5.45pm.
They allegedly hurled anti-Muslim and racist comments at her before ripping her veil off, pushing, and hitting her while attacking her with a box cutter.
"The first man started to touch my chest and then I managed to slap him, but then he punched me in the chest. He then took out a sharp object and started to cut my face with short, quick movements", the unidentified victim told The Huffington Post.
After leaving the teenager with superficial cuts to her face and neck, both men fled in a car.
An investigation into the matter is ongoing while the police tries to identify and arrest the offenders.
In 2011, President Nicolas Sarkozy defended the law by saying it was necessary to deny shoplifters and terrorists the chance to hide their identities and facial features. Nevertheless, the ban has been condemned by human rights groups such as Amnesty International, who called it a breach of the right to freedom of expression.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS