Owners of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 can get both Android 4.2.2 and Android 4.3 Jelly Bean depending on interest. Samsung is rolling out the official Android 4.2.2 while CyanogenMod just sent out their version Android 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Samsung Official Android 4.2.2 Update
SamMobile caught the Samsung rollout of the official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 3G variant which started to be sent out in the United Kingdom. The new firmware has a build version P3110XXDMH1 and being pushed via Over-the-Air procedure and Samsung's Kies PC suite software. Android 4.2.2 update from Samsung is rolled out in stages which mean you may not get the device immediately.
Android 4.2.2 brings the following additions and changes to the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0:
- Dedicated customisable notifications panel in the status bar
- Lock screen widgets
- Multiple user accounts
- Better accessibility
- Daydream feature
- New widgets from Galaxy S4
- Performance improvements
- Better battery life
- Google Now
- Project Butter
How to Update Your Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 3G Variant
A. Over-the-Air or OTA
The simplest method to update the device is within itself by accessing the Settings > About device/tablet > Software updates > Check updates. Normally, the Software Update app on the device prompts you of any available updates. In case there is one, make sure you do the following as precaution:
- Create a backup of all personal information, settings and data files. The firmware update may erase data on the device.
- Make sure that the battery level is at least 70 per cent before updating via OTA. It will ensure safety against sudden shutdown due to low battery status.
- Download and install the firmware via Wi-Fi rather than mobile data connection.
- Connect the device to its AC power during the update procedure.
- Never interrupt the update during installation to avoid corrupting the firmware.
B. Samsung Kies PC Suite
You can use your computer to update the tablet if OTA is not available.
1. Download and install the Samsung Kies from the Samsung support page to your computer.
2. Launch the Samsung Kies then connect the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 using a USB cable to your computer.
3. Let the drivers be installed by Samsung Kies.
4. A notification should appear detailing the latest software update.
5. Simply follow the guidelines provided by the PC suite.
C. Odin Tool
It is highly recommended to update your device using OTA or Samsung Kies instead of manually flashing the firmware. Manual installation may require advance knowledge using Odin, USB drivers and reboot to recovery mode. Errors may occur if you make a mistake on manually flashing the firmware which can brick the tablet.
If you are persistent with the manual update, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail: