China and Japan are two first Asian countries chosen to receive iPhone 5S after the United States global launching. However, Japanese are rumoured to get the iPhone 5S first on September 20 while China will get their hands on it by November 28, 2013.
Japanese Release Date Report
After 10 days of the iPhone 5S launching event in the United States, Japanese can expect the new iPhone to land on their territory on September 20, 2013. According to the Japan's Nikkei report, new iPhones will arrive in Japan on September 20 with a gold iPhone 5S option available.
Softbank and KDDi are going to handle sales of the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C beginning on September 20 while NTT Docomo is not expected to sell the new iPhones on the same date.
"It would be difficult to start sales on the 10th. Docomo is ready but the timing is the problem," NTT Docomo senior executive vice president Kazuto Tsubouchi said in an interview with Japan's Sankie Shimbun, quoted by CNET.
NTT Docomo is the largest Japanese network carrier and does not sell iPhone units which Apple kept on negotiating since at least 2011.
Chinese Getting iPhone 5S on November 2013
China isn't getting the new iPhone as quickly compared with Japan and the smartphone is expected to land in the Chinese territory by November 28, 2013. According to CNET, BrightWire News is also reporting the same release date citing a telecommunications expert, Yang Tao who appeared in the First Financial Daily report.
The main reason why China has a delayed release date unlike with Japan is that iPhone 5S has not completed the verification process required by the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology.
The Chinese report claims that the Qualcomm chips inside the next-generation iPhone will support China Mobile's telecommunications TD-SCDMA network standard. Another report caught by Macrumors indicated that an iPhone 5C will have a variant which supports TDD-LTE used by China Mobile; this will differ from the case of iPhone 5 which does not support China's TD-SCDMA standard.
Other ramping reports include:
- The components and electronics manufacturing services or EMS for the new iPhone will be up in late August or early September 2013
- Hon Hai or Foxconn will start manufacturing a version of the iPhone 5C with TDD-LTE support used by China Mobile
- Models supporting TDD-LTE standard are predicted to boost Apple's presence in China
- iPhone 5 will be discontinued at the end of Q3 2013 but shipments of iPhone 4S will continue till the end of the same year
- iPhone 5C will replace iPhone 5 production rather than iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5S will be the more popular model and should exceed iPhone 5C in terms of shipment
To contact the editor, e-mail: