'Chennai Express' Box Office Collection: Will SRK Starrer Break Record of Aamir's '3 Idiots' Worldwide Revenue?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 27, 2013 4:38 AM EST
Shah Rukh Khan's latest release, "Chennai Express" has broken many records, including biggest opener ever in Bollywood and fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark and ₹200-crore-mark. Now, the biggest question is whether it will break worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots".
"Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone broke "3 Idiots" domestic box office collections on Friday by raking in ₹202.67 crore in the Indian market. Aamir's film earned ₹202.47 in India.
However, it is yet to be known if the action-comedy entertainer directed by Rohit Shetty will break the worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots" which earned ₹392 crore.
The total collection of "Chennai Express" in the domestic box office is ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend. It did well in the third weekend despite new releases - "Once Upon A Time Mumbai Dobaara" and "Madras Café" - by earning ₹10.48 crore in the third weekend.
"Chennai Express" has reportedly earned ₹314 crore worldwide after the third weekend. It is still ₹78 crore short of beating ₹392 crore worldwide revenue of "3 Idiots".
The earnings of "Chennai Express" has dropped over the last few days but it is expected to do well at the box office as there are no big releases in the near future. It will be a herculean task to beat the worldwide collection record of "3 Idiots" but there is possibility of breaking the record in a couple of weeks' time if it goes at the current pace.
"Chennai Express" is currently the second highest grosser with ₹314 crore. It has broken the lifetime collections of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹310 crore), Ranbir Kapoor's "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹301 crore) and Salman's "Dabangg 2" (₹250 crore).
In its way to become the second grossing film (worldwide), "Chennai Express" broke many records, including highest opening film with ₹33.12 crore, second-day collection with ₹28.05 crore, fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark in India, highest first week collection with ₹156 crore, first film to cross ₹200-crore-mark in 15 days, and highest grosser film ever in India with ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 21 Spoilers: Nick Shocks His Family And Summer’s Past Gets Revealed
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899