'Chennai Express' Box Office Collection: Will SRK Starrer Break Record of Aamir's '3 Idiots' Worldwide Revenue?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 27, 2013 4:38 AM EST
Shah Rukh Khan's latest release, "Chennai Express" has broken many records, including biggest opener ever in Bollywood and fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark and ₹200-crore-mark. Now, the biggest question is whether it will break worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots".
"Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone broke "3 Idiots" domestic box office collections on Friday by raking in ₹202.67 crore in the Indian market. Aamir's film earned ₹202.47 in India.
However, it is yet to be known if the action-comedy entertainer directed by Rohit Shetty will break the worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots" which earned ₹392 crore.
The total collection of "Chennai Express" in the domestic box office is ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend. It did well in the third weekend despite new releases - "Once Upon A Time Mumbai Dobaara" and "Madras Café" - by earning ₹10.48 crore in the third weekend.
"Chennai Express" has reportedly earned ₹314 crore worldwide after the third weekend. It is still ₹78 crore short of beating ₹392 crore worldwide revenue of "3 Idiots".
The earnings of "Chennai Express" has dropped over the last few days but it is expected to do well at the box office as there are no big releases in the near future. It will be a herculean task to beat the worldwide collection record of "3 Idiots" but there is possibility of breaking the record in a couple of weeks' time if it goes at the current pace.
"Chennai Express" is currently the second highest grosser with ₹314 crore. It has broken the lifetime collections of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹310 crore), Ranbir Kapoor's "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹301 crore) and Salman's "Dabangg 2" (₹250 crore).
In its way to become the second grossing film (worldwide), "Chennai Express" broke many records, including highest opening film with ₹33.12 crore, second-day collection with ₹28.05 crore, fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark in India, highest first week collection with ₹156 crore, first film to cross ₹200-crore-mark in 15 days, and highest grosser film ever in India with ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October