'Chennai Express' Box Office Collection: Will SRK Starrer Break Record of Aamir's '3 Idiots' Worldwide Revenue?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 27, 2013 4:38 AM EST
Shah Rukh Khan's latest release, "Chennai Express" has broken many records, including biggest opener ever in Bollywood and fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark and ₹200-crore-mark. Now, the biggest question is whether it will break worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots".
"Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone broke "3 Idiots" domestic box office collections on Friday by raking in ₹202.67 crore in the Indian market. Aamir's film earned ₹202.47 in India.
However, it is yet to be known if the action-comedy entertainer directed by Rohit Shetty will break the worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots" which earned ₹392 crore.
The total collection of "Chennai Express" in the domestic box office is ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend. It did well in the third weekend despite new releases - "Once Upon A Time Mumbai Dobaara" and "Madras Café" - by earning ₹10.48 crore in the third weekend.
"Chennai Express" has reportedly earned ₹314 crore worldwide after the third weekend. It is still ₹78 crore short of beating ₹392 crore worldwide revenue of "3 Idiots".
The earnings of "Chennai Express" has dropped over the last few days but it is expected to do well at the box office as there are no big releases in the near future. It will be a herculean task to beat the worldwide collection record of "3 Idiots" but there is possibility of breaking the record in a couple of weeks' time if it goes at the current pace.
"Chennai Express" is currently the second highest grosser with ₹314 crore. It has broken the lifetime collections of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹310 crore), Ranbir Kapoor's "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹301 crore) and Salman's "Dabangg 2" (₹250 crore).
In its way to become the second grossing film (worldwide), "Chennai Express" broke many records, including highest opening film with ₹33.12 crore, second-day collection with ₹28.05 crore, fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark in India, highest first week collection with ₹156 crore, first film to cross ₹200-crore-mark in 15 days, and highest grosser film ever in India with ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report