'Chennai Express' Box Office Collection: Will SRK Starrer Break Record of Aamir's '3 Idiots' Worldwide Revenue?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 27, 2013 4:38 AM EST
Shah Rukh Khan's latest release, "Chennai Express" has broken many records, including biggest opener ever in Bollywood and fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark and ₹200-crore-mark. Now, the biggest question is whether it will break worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots".
"Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone broke "3 Idiots" domestic box office collections on Friday by raking in ₹202.67 crore in the Indian market. Aamir's film earned ₹202.47 in India.
However, it is yet to be known if the action-comedy entertainer directed by Rohit Shetty will break the worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots" which earned ₹392 crore.
The total collection of "Chennai Express" in the domestic box office is ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend. It did well in the third weekend despite new releases - "Once Upon A Time Mumbai Dobaara" and "Madras Café" - by earning ₹10.48 crore in the third weekend.
"Chennai Express" has reportedly earned ₹314 crore worldwide after the third weekend. It is still ₹78 crore short of beating ₹392 crore worldwide revenue of "3 Idiots".
The earnings of "Chennai Express" has dropped over the last few days but it is expected to do well at the box office as there are no big releases in the near future. It will be a herculean task to beat the worldwide collection record of "3 Idiots" but there is possibility of breaking the record in a couple of weeks' time if it goes at the current pace.
"Chennai Express" is currently the second highest grosser with ₹314 crore. It has broken the lifetime collections of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹310 crore), Ranbir Kapoor's "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹301 crore) and Salman's "Dabangg 2" (₹250 crore).
In its way to become the second grossing film (worldwide), "Chennai Express" broke many records, including highest opening film with ₹33.12 crore, second-day collection with ₹28.05 crore, fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark in India, highest first week collection with ₹156 crore, first film to cross ₹200-crore-mark in 15 days, and highest grosser film ever in India with ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft