'Chennai Express' Box Office Collection: Will SRK Starrer Break Record of Aamir's '3 Idiots' Worldwide Revenue?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | August 27, 2013 4:38 AM EST
Shah Rukh Khan's latest release, "Chennai Express" has broken many records, including biggest opener ever in Bollywood and fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark and ₹200-crore-mark. Now, the biggest question is whether it will break worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots".
"Chennai Express" starring Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone broke "3 Idiots" domestic box office collections on Friday by raking in ₹202.67 crore in the Indian market. Aamir's film earned ₹202.47 in India.
However, it is yet to be known if the action-comedy entertainer directed by Rohit Shetty will break the worldwide collections record of Aamir Khan's "3 Idiots" which earned ₹392 crore.
The total collection of "Chennai Express" in the domestic box office is ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend. It did well in the third weekend despite new releases - "Once Upon A Time Mumbai Dobaara" and "Madras Café" - by earning ₹10.48 crore in the third weekend.
"Chennai Express" has reportedly earned ₹314 crore worldwide after the third weekend. It is still ₹78 crore short of beating ₹392 crore worldwide revenue of "3 Idiots".
The earnings of "Chennai Express" has dropped over the last few days but it is expected to do well at the box office as there are no big releases in the near future. It will be a herculean task to beat the worldwide collection record of "3 Idiots" but there is possibility of breaking the record in a couple of weeks' time if it goes at the current pace.
"Chennai Express" is currently the second highest grosser with ₹314 crore. It has broken the lifetime collections of Salman Khan's "Ek Tha Tiger" (₹310 crore), Ranbir Kapoor's "Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani" (₹301 crore) and Salman's "Dabangg 2" (₹250 crore).
In its way to become the second grossing film (worldwide), "Chennai Express" broke many records, including highest opening film with ₹33.12 crore, second-day collection with ₹28.05 crore, fastest film to cross ₹100-crore-mark in India, highest first week collection with ₹156 crore, first film to cross ₹200-crore-mark in 15 days, and highest grosser film ever in India with ₹211.03 crore after the third weekend.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More