Harlow Mosque Hit by Arson Attack
By Dominic Gover | August 27, 2013 2:57 AM EST
Attackers tried to set fire to an Essex mosque in a suspected Islamophobic attack.
The Harlow Islamic centre in Paringdon Road was targeted with industrial foam which was then set alight, said police. No serious damage was inflicted on the building aside from burn marks on a wall.
Police are investigating CCTV footage for clues. Around 2,000 Muslims in the Essex town of Harlow use the centre, which has been in the area for 18 years.
Leading the investigation is Ch Insp Ed Wells, who branded the incident "appalling."
"Detectives are investigating this concerning incident and there will be a significant police presence throughout the day to reassure all local residents as we seek to identify those responsible," he said.
"Naturally, if and when we identify suitable, productive footage, we will release this in order to help with our investigation."
"We stand here together today appalled at the criminal behaviour of the individuals who last night tried to set fire to this building."
The vice chairman of centre said efforts had been made to strengthen ties. Zia Rehman said: "We have been working very hard within the local community, building bridges, and we were hoping we wouldn't have this kind of problem, but in the current climate there are elements within society that are not happy and there are issues."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS