VisitScotland’s Marketing Campaigns Add £310m to Scottish Economy
By Debasree Purkayastha | August 27, 2013 2:15 AM EST
VisitScotland's two major marketing campaigns have brought nearly £310m ($482.5m, €360.4m) of additional benefit for the Scottish economy since January, 2012. The national tourism agency which aims at attracting both domestic as well as international tourists earned 14% more compared to the same time a year ago.
The organisation said that the growth occurred because VisitScotland targeted both established and emerging markets across the globe through cross-media marketing.
VisitScotland's Surprise Yourself campaign was been aimed at the domestic market which has accounted for 84% of annual visitors to Scotland since last year.
The campaign was via multilingual websites, partnerships with international tour operators and airlines like US airways and CIE tours. Social media also played an important part in attracting more tourists.
Other promotions included advertisements fronted by Neil Oliver, a Scottish television anchor and author, promoting the Year of Creativity Scotland 2012 and Year of Natural Scotland 2013.
Scotland's tourism gained momentum at the time when the country's leisure industry prepares itself for a series of events taking place over the next year; Homecoming 2014, Ryder Cup 2014 at Gleneagles and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
"The latest results of our domestic and international campaigns show just how much VisitScotland continues to deliver for Scotland. As Scotland prepares to welcome the world in 2014, we're working extremely hard to grasp the magnificent opportunities there are for growth," VisitScotland's Chairman Mike Cantlay said.
"We believe that the tourism industry affects all walks of life and we would call on everyone to recognise the potential that next year's unique events can have for the whole of Scotland," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch