VisitScotland’s Marketing Campaigns Add £310m to Scottish Economy
By Debasree Purkayastha | August 27, 2013 2:15 AM EST
VisitScotland's two major marketing campaigns have brought nearly £310m ($482.5m, €360.4m) of additional benefit for the Scottish economy since January, 2012. The national tourism agency which aims at attracting both domestic as well as international tourists earned 14% more compared to the same time a year ago.
The organisation said that the growth occurred because VisitScotland targeted both established and emerging markets across the globe through cross-media marketing.
VisitScotland's Surprise Yourself campaign was been aimed at the domestic market which has accounted for 84% of annual visitors to Scotland since last year.
The campaign was via multilingual websites, partnerships with international tour operators and airlines like US airways and CIE tours. Social media also played an important part in attracting more tourists.
Other promotions included advertisements fronted by Neil Oliver, a Scottish television anchor and author, promoting the Year of Creativity Scotland 2012 and Year of Natural Scotland 2013.
Scotland's tourism gained momentum at the time when the country's leisure industry prepares itself for a series of events taking place over the next year; Homecoming 2014, Ryder Cup 2014 at Gleneagles and the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.
"The latest results of our domestic and international campaigns show just how much VisitScotland continues to deliver for Scotland. As Scotland prepares to welcome the world in 2014, we're working extremely hard to grasp the magnificent opportunities there are for growth," VisitScotland's Chairman Mike Cantlay said.
"We believe that the tourism industry affects all walks of life and we would call on everyone to recognise the potential that next year's unique events can have for the whole of Scotland," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: Sierra Leone Declares Emergency, Death Toll Now 729
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: US CDC Issues Travel Advisory; Virus 'Dreadful and Merciless'
- Australia's Tech Sector Outperforms US and UK with App Development Generating Billions
- Premier League: Manchester United Owners Set to Sell Shares via US Stock Exchange
- 5 Things Australia Imports from China
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup