Aussie Researchers Planning to Convert Captured C02 into Bricks (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 26, 2013 12:35 PM EST
From being a cause of pollution and ailments, Australian scientists are studying ways to convert carbon dioxide into other more useful items such as bricks to build edifices.
New South Wales Resources Minister Chris Hatcher disclosed that NSW researchers are studying converting CO2 emissions into a carbonate rock, in the process allowing local companies to meet their greenhouse gas reduction targets and at the same time creating a construction material.
Mr Hartcher said that the CO2 mineral carbonation pilot plant would be built within 18 months at the University of Newcastle's Institute for Energy and Resources, north of Sydney. It will tap the CO2 trapped at Orica's ammonium nitrate plant in Newcastle.
The $9 million venture will be jointly finance by the federal and NSW governments and Orica. They will each provide $3 million over four years.
Mineral carbonation involves speeding up the earth's natural carbon sink mechanism, combining CO2 with low-grade minerals to create inert carbonates similar to common baking soda.
"The technology is proven in the lab and we now want to see if we can scale it to reduce the cost to be in line with a future carbon price," Courier Mail quoted John Dawe, chief executive officer of Mineral Carbonation International.
He pointed out that their technique is different from those use by other carbon capturing countries which merely stores the C02 underground, while they will permanently transform the carbon dioxide emissions into something more useful.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Study Shows Oceans are Vital For Alien Life
- Experts Recommend a New Discipline Combining Neuroscience and Psychology
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People