Aussie Researchers Planning to Convert Captured C02 into Bricks (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 26, 2013 12:35 PM EST
From being a cause of pollution and ailments, Australian scientists are studying ways to convert carbon dioxide into other more useful items such as bricks to build edifices.
New South Wales Resources Minister Chris Hatcher disclosed that NSW researchers are studying converting CO2 emissions into a carbonate rock, in the process allowing local companies to meet their greenhouse gas reduction targets and at the same time creating a construction material.
Mr Hartcher said that the CO2 mineral carbonation pilot plant would be built within 18 months at the University of Newcastle's Institute for Energy and Resources, north of Sydney. It will tap the CO2 trapped at Orica's ammonium nitrate plant in Newcastle.
The $9 million venture will be jointly finance by the federal and NSW governments and Orica. They will each provide $3 million over four years.
Mineral carbonation involves speeding up the earth's natural carbon sink mechanism, combining CO2 with low-grade minerals to create inert carbonates similar to common baking soda.
"The technology is proven in the lab and we now want to see if we can scale it to reduce the cost to be in line with a future carbon price," Courier Mail quoted John Dawe, chief executive officer of Mineral Carbonation International.
He pointed out that their technique is different from those use by other carbon capturing countries which merely stores the C02 underground, while they will permanently transform the carbon dioxide emissions into something more useful.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier