Transsexual Politician Georgina Beyer Says New Zealand Not Yet Ready For Gay PM
By Anne Lu | August 26, 2013 11:29 AM EST
New Zealand is not yet ready for a gay prime minister, Georgina Beyer, the world's first transsexual mayor and MP, said. The former Carterton District mayor has warned the Labour party to be realistic with appointing a gay leader because the country isn't ready yet to be ruled by a homosexual.
Ms Beyer's statement comes after openly gay politician Grant Robertson has confirmed he will be running for the Labour party leadership, which could make him a strong candidate for prime minister.
The position was left vacant when David Shearer resigned on Thursday.
"I think it's going to be a really good contest for the Labour Party. I think if candidates can show respect to each other and to the members and the process, I think this could give us a great spring-board for 2014," he was quoted by the Radio New Zealand News as saying.
He is seen as the main contender for the leadership, along with MP for New Lynn, David Cunliffe.
However, Ms Beyer, who served as an MP for Wairarrapa from 1999 to 2007, isn't convinced that the country can accept a gay prime minister at this stage.
"I don't think we're ready yet," she said. "It's not because Grant isn't capable, I think he's very capable... but the stigma that rests over those of us who are out, proud and gay who get into public office becomes untenable because you never shake it off and you get pigeon-holed."
New Zealand might even be less ready for a gay prime minister now than the country was a year ago since the Marriage Equality Bill, which legalises gay marriage, is enforced in August.
"I get the feeling out there that there's a little bit of a backlash to what is being labelled social engineering that is being constructed, and I just fear that Grant would be laboured with a lot of that baggage," Fairfax NZ News has quoted her.
In May, Ms Beyer, who was born as George Bertrand, has stepped down from the Wellington mayoralty campaign after she was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure. She served as the mayor of Carterton from 1995 to 2000.
Bradley Manning Becomes Chelsea Manning; Convicted Soldier Wants To Live As A Woman [Read]
Kiwi Same-Sex Couple Weds 30,000 Feet In The Air [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers