Google (nasdaq:GOOG)'s Moto X with X8 Sensors to Rival iPhone
By Jacob Cherian | August 26, 2013 10:26 AM EST
If you're looking for a less conspicuous smartphone than the Samsung Galaxy S4 or iOS-operated iPhone such as the iPhone 5S or 5C, Moto X from Google's Motorola might wet your appetite for smartphones. If you're in the U.S. and you're an AT&T customer, you can pick one out in black, white or opt for a Moto X card to be used with Moto Maker at AT&T. It will also be available in Canada. The phone is slated for release from August to September.
A Google+ post from VP of product management at Motorola, Punit Soni, said, "the AT&T release of the Moto X is just step one of the rollout, and we will see 'dev editions, other carrier versions rolling out in days'."
Motorola, which has lost smartphone market share to Samsung and Apple Inc., is adding more buzz to Moto X by advertising the technology inside the phone. The mobile technology firm that first launched in Japan has gone out of its way to let the media know that the X8 is no ordinary smartphone chip.
It has sensing technology that detects you're going to take a photo by turning on the camera and opens a custom-tailored driving option after sensing who the driver is.
Incidentally, Google's acquisition of Motorola for $12.5 billion is not as profitable as iFixit analysts had hoped, but the Moto X gives fans something to write about on their Facebook walls, since it is the first Motorola phone to be made in the U.S.
The objective of the X8 has to deliver outstanding performance combined with low power.
Motorola said during an interview with CNET, the touted X8 chip is a 1.7 GHz Qualcomm S4 Pro and, so far, Motorola has collaborated well with Qualcomm. The X8 takes care of the contextual computing processor that manages language and gestures.
According a review by ifixit, the internal parts of the Moto X include a Toshiba 16 GB eMMC Nand Flash and 2 GB ram. Adding to that, the Moto X hosts a 10-MP rear camera, which is a good 25% higher in megapixels than Apple Inc's iPhone 5 built on iOS.
The Web site's review also said that the internal make-up of the Moto X was more complicated. "To our dismay, the unexpectedly flexible rear panel, though clipped to the device, is also adhered."
However, analysts said the Moto X's "design choices are nothing if not unique."
In July, the Wall Street Journal reported that Google will spend $150 million on marketing of the Moto X, a variant of the Nexus series.
The release overlaps those of rivals like Apple Inc's iPhone 5 and a cheaper version of the iPhone, the Nexus 7 also made by Google, and a rumoured Samsung Galaxy 12 tab release.
The deciding factor for the Moto X over its rivals is bound to be its CPU and the RAM, more than sleek looks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers