Rupee Depreciation Impact: Samsung Hikes Smartphone Prices in India
By Greeshma M | August 25, 2013 6:36 PM EST
The BGR website citing Pricebaba.com reported that prices of Samsung phones in India have shot up by 4-5 percent and other smartphone makers like Nokia and Sony are mulling over a price hike. The report pointed out that the cost of Samsung's Galaxy S4 has gone up by up to ₹1,820 and other handsets like Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Grand Duos is now costlier by ₹2,495 and ₹1,000, respectively.
Domestic companies are also said to be looking at the possibility of a price hike of their products in the coming days.The report quoted a spokesperson of an Indian brand as saying, "We have not yet decided on the final price of our phone, which we will launch in a fortnight. We are waiting and watching the Dollar situation and will take a call as close to the launch as possible."
Come September, a wide range of products in India is likely to see a hike in prices. The products ranging from daily used items to imported mobiles and electronic items will turn costlier in the next few days.
"The country's four leading consumer electronics makers - LG, Samsung, Panasonic and Videocon - said they may soon announce a 2-4% price hike that could come into effect as early as next month. Prices of refrigerators, washing machines, LED and LCD television sets, and microwave ovens had gone up 3-5% last month when the rupee had crossed the 59-60 range. In all, the likely September increases will be the third price hike this year due to rupee depreciation," reported the Economic Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers